Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

Where to go to hunt small game

Big Al

Lorain
I want to get started in hunting hogs, coyotes, groundhogs, crows, etc, but I am unsure where to go to do it. I live in Lorain and I'm having a hard time finding anywhere to go besides places ridiculously far away :/

Bigslam51

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Stark County
I'd start knocking on doors. You shouldn't have much of a problem getting permission to kill some yotes and whistle pigs. Can't give you any advice on the hogs though.

Big Al

Lorain
Oh that is a good idea, thank you! Do you know if there is any way I could find like a "good area" or are they pretty common up here if I just get out there?

Bigslam51

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Stark County
Any open fields should have groundhogs. Yotes are all over the place, if there's a decent amount of other wildlife around like rabbits, deer, or turkey, you'll usually have some yotes hanging around.

at1010

*Supporting Member*
Lorain county has several public places, also TONS of farms in surrounding areas. Lorain county, huron, Erie, etc. I also believe Huron and Erie have a few public land spots.

Bigcountry40

You can probably get permission to small game hunt in a lot of farm fields after deer season, my advise is to ask after black powder in January. I know that won't help you now, but my typical experience with farmers is they don't care once deer season is over and almost everyone is preparing of bow season or thinking about bow season.