Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

Pop-Up Canopies... Let's hear it

jagermeister

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Ohio
I'm in the market for a pop-up style canopy. Either 10x10 or 12x12, but I'm leaning toward 12x12. I've decided I want straight-leg instead of slant-leg. What do you guys have? Likes? Dislikes? I'm not putting much weight on the cost because I'm willing to spend good money for good quality. I want something that's not going to fall apart on me. I've seen some shitty canopies, and they're worse than not having one at all. There is just so many choices out there, and it's hard to tell what's well-made and what's total shit by looking at internet pictures. Let's hear it...

DJK Frank 16

Supporting Member
Hardin County
Coleman 12x12... the one I had was like $189.99 but it was built like a tank. Easy to setup (I could do it by myself if I walked around and did each leg a small length at a time).

We got some straight line winds a month or so ago at the campground, it trashed campers, awnings, canopies, etc. I had one piece of the canopy support that busted. I haven't looked at getting a replacement part yet, but if I can't fix it i'm buying another one. Zero complaints.

This is the model: https://www.amazon.com/Coleman-2000...&qid=1467757433&sr=8-2&keywords=coleman+12x12

That one is 219 but I've seen them around for 189 or less if you shop around.

bowhunter1023

Owner/Operator
Staff member
Appalachia
Both of ours are the run of the mill $100 ones that can be had for $69 on sale. They've paid for themselves, but I too would like to have a better one as both ours are really showing their age. Hell, I think they've been to nearly every TOO function and a whole lot of other places! Flutey had a sweet one that got thrashed in a storm, but it was pretty badass. It may have been a Coleman also.

jagermeister

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Ohio
Thanks fellas. Keep it coming. I've read nothing but good things about the Coleman canopies, which kind of surprises me considering some of their other camping stuff is pretty cheap. But hey, right now they're at the top of my list.

MoonLab

Where we’re going, we don’t need roads.
Supporting Member
Tooville
I love my Buckeyes canopy. That was the one i had set up at the TOO shoot last year

http://m.samsclub.com/ip/ohio-canopy/prod10450889

2016-07-05-21-24-51--1871543702.jpg

hickslawns

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Ohio
I have had some cheapo Walmart ones for $79-99. They have been okay and served their purposes. The ones I have seen last were EZ UP brand. All the guys at the races used them weekly in crap conditions and they seemed to hold up well. Used to occasionally see them at Sams Club.

Dustinb80

#FACKCANCER
Supporting Member
S.W. Ohio
I bought one a few weeks ago at Lowes. It was one that they used for their company cookout and put right back in the box. Normally $98, got it for $63. I haven't even opened it yet so I cant give you an opinion. Ill be bringing it with me to the Bow Shoot.

finelyshedded

You know what!!!
Supporting Member
SW Ohio
Definitely stick with a straight legger Jim in case you want to tie up with another canopy and don't skimp on price as you do get what you pay for these days!

Buckmaster

Portage
Watch the wind....they take off like a helicopter, well mine did. It WAS a straight legged 12'x12' with weighted supports on its feet.

jagermeister

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Ohio
Well I haven't heard much bad to say about the Coleman stuff so I think I'm going to pull the trigger on that 12x12. I like the price point of the 10x10s but I want a little more coverage. I will be using it to shade the back of my truck at dog trials too so bigger is better in that regard. I've done it with a 10x10 before and it was just barely enough.