Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

Concealed Carry Pistol on a budget

teej89

NE PA
Alright guys, I've shot maybe 100 rounds out of a pistol in my life but have been shooting shotguns and rifles for the last 20yrs. Growing up my dad said we don't own anything we don't hunt with or compete with (AR-15). Well with the way things are going these days I am looking for something to protect myself and the people/animals I live with. I've had a guy threaten my dog recently, that's a diff story tho.

ANywho I was in the theaters this weekend with the GF and before the movie started I just felt vulnerable as all hell and was looking at exits and thinking up an emergency plan incase.

Long story short... I have absolutely no knowledge on pistols, I've shot a 9mm, .40 and a .45. I'm looking for a CCW and am going to start taking the classes after I purchase it. I would like to stay under $400 but I could be persuaded to $500.

Thanks!
T.J.

"J"

Git Off My Lawn
Supporting Member
North Carolina
I have the M&P Shield in 9mm and very happy with it... Nice little handgun that has a good track record.....
Best to hit a gun shop and fondle a few different handguns and see which fits your hand the best....
This subject is much like which auto manufacturers are best lol

CJD3

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
NE Ohio
Give some thought to auto or revolver.
A wheel gun is fairly basic and "fool proof" however an auto will require more range time with so if there is a jam or stovepipe, you will know instinctly to drop the mag, clear the gun and get back into action.

You shoot long guns so you know the basics.

hickslawns

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Ohio
I like CJD's view. I have both. In a panic situation, a revolver is nice for the fact you pull it out and squeeze the trigger. It goes bang. BUT, you'll likely only get 5 bullets in a CCW sized revolver. Semiautomatic is fine as well but I also recommend plenty of range time. Going "cheap" is ok, but make sure it is a reliable gun not known for jams.

Ricer2231

I personally carry a S&W M&P 9c. Basically just a little bit bigger version of J's shield. Love it. Easily concealed and, so far, very dependable. I wholeheartedly agree with J about going to a gun shop or range where you can handle different handguns to get that perfect fit. I really can't help you much with the wheel gun perspective because the wheel gun I have, Ruger GP100 in .357 mag, is not a CCW. Best of luck to ya.

Dustinb80

#FACKCANCER
Supporting Member
S.W. Ohio
I carry a Springfield XDS 9mm and I love it. It too is very easy to conceal b/c of its size. I also owned the S&W M&P 9C, I sold it b/c it was too thick for me, I wanted a single stack. I agree with everyone else, go handle and shoot as many as it takes until you find what fits your hand the best. The grip on my XDS is very aggressive, but is fixable with grip tape, I cant remember who I went through for mine. Its all personal preference and feel.

Beentown

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Sunbury, OH
Kahr. I have converted many. For a one carry pistol plan it is hard to beat a CM9.

Pocket carry without the buldge. Disappears in a Crossbreed style holster. Better trigger than anything else in its segment. More capacity than a wheel gun.

Cheap.

RedCloud

Super Moderator
Super Mod
North Central Ohio
I've been pretty happy with my Ruger SR9C so far. With my inside the waist holster it blends in well and comfortable even when driving for hours. If I remember mine was just over the $400 mark. I also like the fact it's easy to break down for cleaning.

Definitely get into a shop and get your hands on as many in your price range as you can. Just like long guns, shotguns, and bows you need to find the one that fits your hand and is comfortable.

Huckleberry Finn

I'd recommend the other way around. A lot of ccw classes have different guns you can try and shoot cheaply. The kind of gun to are carrying doesn't matter if you're in a theater where it's not permitted. A good ccw class should introduce you to pistols and safety and then you can make a decision about what gun and what styles of carry fits you the best.

MoonLab

Where we’re going, we don’t need roads.
Supporting Member
Tooville
Im going to sell my 9mm M&P Shield or trade it in for 9mm M&P shield ported. It looks badass to me

Beentown

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Sunbury, OH
I do not recommend ported firearms for carry pieces. They flare horribly in the dark, when your mostly likely to need it.

jagermeister

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Ohio
I really like my M&P Shield 9mm... not a bad thing to say about it. Thin, light, compact, "okay" trigger but I shoot it pretty well. If you keep your eyes open they regularly go on sale for around $349, sometimes cheaper. That being said, Beener is spot on about Kahr as well. My experience with Kahr is limited to my CW380 but everything Beener said holds true. The trigger is amazing. The finish is impeccable. Even for a pocket pistol that is absolutely tiny, I can still fire sub-two inch groups at 21 feet. It is a SWEET little gun. I would really be tempted to try that CM9 Beener is talking about.

It's hard to go wrong if you choose between S&W, Springfield, Glock, or Kahr. All offer pistols in your price range and all are reliable firearms. I'd say fondle a few and see what you like the feel of the most. One thing I'll recommend is stick to 9mm.

teej89

NE PA
I really like my M&P Shield 9mm... not a bad thing to say about it. Thin, light, compact, "okay" trigger but I shoot it pretty well. If you keep your eyes open they regularly go on sale for around $349, sometimes cheaper. That being said, Beener is spot on about Kahr as well. My experience with Kahr is limited to my CW380 but everything Beener said holds true. The trigger is amazing. The finish is impeccable. Even for a pocket pistol that is absolutely tiny, I can still fire sub-two inch groups at 21 feet. It is a SWEET little gun. I would really be tempted to try that CM9 Beener is talking about.

It's hard to go wrong if you choose between S&W, Springfield, Glock, or Kahr. All offer pistols in your price range and all are reliable firearms. I'd say fondle a few and see what you like the feel of the most. One thing I'll recommend is stick to 9mm.

I was actually leaning towards the M&P Shield, but what is the "no-thumb safety" on it? I couldn't figure that out.

Im going to sell my 9mm M&P Shield or trade it in for 9mm M&P shield ported. It looks badass to me

If you are ever interested in selling it send me a PM.

jagermeister

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Ohio
I was actually leaning towards the M&P Shield, but what is the "no-thumb safety" on it? I couldn't figure that out.

If you are ever interested in selling it send me a PM.
They offer the shield in a few different variations... one has a thumb safety, another does not. The safety works like any other safety on a gun. It won't go bang until you click it 'off.' When I bought mine I thought I liked the idea of a thumb safety, so that's what I got. I guess it is nice to have at times... But any more I always carry it with the safety in the 'off' position. I don't want to have to think about it if I ever need to draw the gun. The downside now is that of the safety gets inadvertantly switched to on, I may stumble a second before getting a shot off.

teej89

NE PA
They offer the shield in a few different variations... one has a thumb safety, another does not. The safety works like any other safety on a gun. It won't go bang until you click it 'off.' When I bought mine I thought I liked the idea of a thumb safety, so that's what I got. I guess it is nice to have at times... But any more I always carry it with the safety in the 'off' position. I don't want to have to think about it if I ever need to draw the gun. The downside now is that of the safety gets inadvertantly switched to on, I may stumble a second before getting a shot off.

so what's the no thumb safety? Is it like the hammer is down so when I pull the trigger for the first round the hammer gets cocked and the rest of the pull the gun goes off? I shot a pistol that was like this, the first round was crazy deceiving until I realized what was going on.

Wmiller07

The S&w works like a Glock so there is no hammer. No thumb safety means there is no safety. It works just like a Glock where there is a piece on the trigger that acts as a safety.