Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

Snapping Turtles

GoetsTalon

Supporting Member
Walbridge oh
Just got a email from the Ohio State Trappers that effective July first that the minimum size on snappers is eleven inches now. Thats better than the thirteen inch limit. Looks like i'm going to have to bust the old turtle trap out and see if i can still catch them lol!!!

nathan.luthman

Supporting Member
Did anyone else know that it is legal to shoot a turtle (or frog) with a bow... think i might try it

nathan.luthman

Supporting Member
Ohio dnr website

GoetsTalon

Supporting Member
Walbridge oh
I think it was a good move. 13" is a big ass turtle. 11 is definitely more reasonable.
I have two 11"s and one 12 incher hanging on the wall but no 13. Same for my buddy that has a lot of shells. His biggest is a 12. I helped a big one off the road a couple weeks ago that would have been legal.

Curran

Supporting Member
Central Ohio
Mmmmm turtle. It's been a while since I've had some, but they're definitely worth the effort it takes to clean them up.

Jackalope

Dignitary Member
Staff member
Caught this fella on a limb line yesterday. He was hooked in the mouth so the release was pretty easy.

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1467040324.122246.jpg

oakswamper

around Toledo
Just got a email from the Ohio State Trappers that effective July first that the minimum size on snappers is eleven inches now. Thats better than the thirteen inch limit. Looks like i'm going to have to bust the old turtle trap out and see if i can still catch them lol!!!

I had some great spots on the Toussaint creek from Bradner road to Fostoria road growing up, caught a lot. A little far to drive now lol

Jackalope

Dignitary Member
Staff member
You get any catfish?

Yeah. Travis and I set out 26 lines and released that snapper, a soft shell, 5 channels about a foot long, a yellow belly and kept 8 chanels about 18-24 inches long. Chunked one about 18 inches on the skinning table because his meat was lemon yellow. Had almost a gallon of filets. All in all not bad. 50% catch rate, 30% keepers.

finelyshedded

You know what!!!
Supporting Member
SW Ohio
Yeah. Travis and I set out 26 lines and released that snapper, a soft shell, 5 channels about a foot long, a yellow belly and kept 8 chanels about 18-24 inches long. Chunked one about 18 inches on the skinning table because his meat was lemon yellow. Had almost a gallon of filets. All in all not bad. 50% catch rate, 30% keepers.

Very nice haul Joe! It's great you're showing Travis the way to do it buddy! Great stuff!

Beentown

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Sunbury, OH
Right now I'm just trying to show him he doesn't have to run around every waking minute with his nose up his girlfriends ass.
Hard to compete with that vagina. Lol

Hopefully you teach him to leave them wanting more, not owning you. Well, I am sure your teaching it to him just hope he can see the value.

bowhunter1023

Owner/Operator
Staff member
Appalachia
uploadfromtaptalk1467205825787.jpg

This is a pic of a pic, so sorry about the quality. Anyone else see this? Don't laugh too hard, but my uncle works with a guy who says this is his nephew in the pic and the turtle came from near Cotty in the Jefferson County area. Supposedly they pulled it out near a tributary to the Ohio. No specs on size other than its massive as fugg!

Bigslam51

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Stark County
Holy shit that's a big ass turtle! I remember years ago when my grandparents lived on Atwood lake in the house my grandpa built. The house sat back in a little cove of the lake and one day they had a huge snapper in the back yard. Grandpa ended up killing it, I remember him bringing it to our house in the trunk of his Chevy lumina and that bastard took up every inch of space in that trunk lol