Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

Log splitter

at1010

*Supporting Member*
Looking to buy a log splitter. I was thinking of the ones tsc sells because the RK have horrible reviews.

I split everything now by hand and between two properties and 3 fireplaces total it's killing me.

Looking to buy this afternoon maybe. What do I need to know? Brand? Stay away from? Etc.

Thank you!

"J"

Git Off My Lawn
Supporting Member
North Carolina
Two stage pump, and the biggest tonnage ram you can afford.... Make sure it's towable as well....
If you can connect it to your tractor and use its hydraulics would be the best IMHO....

Buckmaster

Portage
I have the TSC 35 ton with the 11.5 Briggs motor (its loud). It will split anything. Since my purchase they now come with Honda motors probably more to my liking.

at1010

*Supporting Member*
Two stage pump, and the biggest tonnage ram you can afford.... Make sure it's towable as well....
If you can connect it to your tractor and use its hydraulics would be the best IMHO....

J believe it or not the tractors pto splitters seem to have bad reviews unless your running it off a bigger tracker say 70hp. The cycle time from my research seems to be too slow.

I am thinking 25 or 33 ton. Country line. Seem to have good reviews

Buckmaster

Portage
Here she is.

Attachments

• Big Split.jpg
    Big Split.jpg
    270.7 KB · Views: 108

"J"

Git Off My Lawn
Supporting Member
North Carolina
Al, have used both and the tractor splitters seem to be less maintenance and do a great job in splitting all kinds of wood, granted some have been home made but the store bought ones were just as good...

CJD3

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
NE Ohio
The only additional point I can think of is: Horizontal or vertical. Mine is on wheels and ball hitch tong but horizontal/fixed. Lifting those big logs kills my back these days. I have backed the splitter up on car ramps so I don't have to keep bending over as much for logs or to work the forward/back lever. Its over 30 years old so newer designs may not make my point even an issue.

at1010

*Supporting Member*
I have the TSC 35 ton with the 11.5 Briggs motor (its loud). It will split anything. Since my purchase they now come with Honda motors probably more to my liking.

that is the feedback I wanna hear. Noise don't bother me to much! I split mostly by hand now, a few cords a year or more. Its just getting to be too much especially since I have a few large trees down. I want to be able to split, stack, move on.

at1010

*Supporting Member*
Al, have used both and the tractor splitters seem to be less maintenance and do a great job in splitting all kinds of wood, granted some have been home made but the store bought ones were just as good...

really? that is interesting! What size tractor where you running? I have been told that the cycle time on them is just way to slow to be efficient in splitting any large amounts of wood. I think the 38hp probably would be ok but my little 25hp tractor just won't be able to keep up I don't think.....Even the dealer told me that, and hell we know they wanted to see me it hahah!

"J"

Git Off My Lawn
Supporting Member
North Carolina
The only additional point I can think of is: Horizontal or vertical. Mine is on wheels and ball hitch tong but horizontal/fixed. Lifting those big logs kills my back these days. I have backed the splitter up on car ramps so I don't have to keep bending over as much for logs or to work the forward/back lever. Its over 30 years old so newer designs may not make my point even an issue.

Good point, the tractor spitter we used last was able to pivot it vertical and made it much more easier and when in a group had an assembly line handing logs to one another....

xbowguy

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Licking Co. Ohio
I had problems with my splitter from TSC. Lady at the mower shop said it was because TSC leaves them out in the sun and ruins the diaphragm in the carb. We put a new one in and it has been running excellent for 10 years since.

Beentown

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Sunbury, OH
Cycle time and tonnage is a trade off.

If I were to purchase now and used firewood as my main source I would get a Super Splitter. For a regular style it would be a toss up as most are all just about the same.

at1010

*Supporting Member*
Cycle time and tonnage is a trade off.

If I were to purchase now and used firewood as my main source I would get a Super Splitter. For a regular style it would be a toss up as most are all just about the same.

Most of the cycle times I am seeing are close to 16 second for a 30+ ton? That seems pretty darn fast to me! Dang!

Beentown

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Sunbury, OH
That is slow to me. Lol

A good 27ton is about 10 seconds. It really depends on how much you split and what species.

Most hardwoods split just fine at 22-27 tons and have much better cycle times.

I love the Super Splits but they can be hard to use with dried elm, hedge or locust. I don't cut much of it so no issue anyway.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=RaJ_QpnOY9k

hickslawns

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Ohio
When I used one on my tractor (at the time a 30hp Kioti) it wasn't terrible. Maybe a bit slow, but it was homemade and only a couple hundred bucks. I put in a detent valve for the valve. Hold it open to extend the ram, let go and it automatically retracted. While retracting I moved split rounds, and grabbed another. By this time it was ready for the next log. Never thought to time it because I was always moving and trying to be productive. Then again, I like everything to be a competition with myself. In my line of work everything is about efficiencies. There cannot be a duplicated step. Every step is calculated. lol

at1010

*Supporting Member*
That is slow to me. Lol

A good 27ton is about 10 seconds. It really depends on how much you split and what species.

Most hardwoods split just fine at 22-27 tons and have much better cycle times.

I love the Super Splits but they can be hard to use with dried elm, hedge or locust. I don't cut much of it so no issue anyway.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=RaJ_QpnOY9k

Don't split much elm, locus. Mostly maple to be honest. Some big Norway for outdoor use.

I split a decent chunk of wood but nothing crazy. I think a 22-27 might be just what I need
I'm going to look at a few tonight at tsc and Internet

Jamie

Ohio
I bought a 22 ton Husky from TSC 12 years ago. 6.5 Briggs and Stratton, vertical or horizontal use, towable. I've split 40-50 cords of hardwood with it, and it has always functioned well and handled even the gnarliest osage I could get a saw through. never had a single problem with it. for $1000 it has paid for itself many times over, if only for the wear and tear it has saved my body from, never mind the amount of time it has saved me, or the favors it has gotten me loaning it out. it is starting to show its age a little, but I have always stored it indoors when I'm not using it, and expect to get many more years of use out of it. I'd buy another in a hearbeat if this one takes a shit, especially if I can get it with a Honda engine.

at1010

*Supporting Member*
I bought a 22 ton Husky from TSC 12 years ago. 6.5 Briggs and Stratton, vertical or horizontal use, towable. I've split 40-50 cords of hardwood with it, and it has always functioned well and handled even the gnarliest osage I could get a saw through. never had a single problem with it. for $1000 it has paid for itself many times over, if only for the wear and tear it has saved my body from, never mind the amount of time it has saved me, or the favors it has gotten me loaning it out. it is starting to show its age a little, but I have always stored it indoors when I'm not using it, and expect to get many more years of use out of it. I'd buy another in a hearbeat if this one takes a shit, especially if I can get it with a Honda engine.

my buddy has the same one, and he loves it as well. I think thats the one I will look at!

moundhill

Supporting Member
Hebbardsville..
I bought one last year from lowes. It's made by dirty hands tools. It had nothing but great reviews online. So far it's been a beast, and hasn't met a piece of wood it can't split.