Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

Cheap garage or storage

hickslawns

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Ohio
I needed some storage. My buildings are full. I have crap out in the weather. I priced a building 40x48. To do it the way I want it would be over $50k. I can't do that right now. Could borrow it. Can't justify it. So in need of temporary cold storage (at a minimum), I went the route of a carport. You've probably seen them. Usually 12x18 with no sides or end walls advertised for $895. But. . . You can get them bigger. You can add sides. You can add end walls or garage door ends. You can get them taller. And so I did.

I ended up with a 24x31 with 10' high sides. I am having the sides enclosed and back wall enclosed. They are not on a foundation, are not permanent, and therefore I didn't need a permit. I ended up around $4800 with tax and assembled. Three Hispanic dudes showed up this evening and began assembly. So far I am pleased. Looking forward to the finished product. I would think a guy could get a slightly smaller one with shorter sides quite a bit cheaper. The extra height on sides increases cost on end walls and side walls.

Here are the in process pics. Before and structure erected.

The plan is to remove the rickety fence which was up when I bought the place. I will likely add new fence which is more tasteful and hide some stuff and better secure it from the elements.

Last edited:

Blan37

SW Ohio
Who makes them and how can I get in touch with them? I could really use something like that on my farm in Blanchester.

hickslawns

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Ohio
It'll be interesting to see how well it holds up. That seems extremely reasonable, from a price point.

Agreed. Then again, the people I bought mine thru have several and have zero complaints. You see them sitting all over the place (after you buy one.)

Blan- Let me dig up the info. I want to see All Steel Carports or American Car Ports. Let me dig it up and post again with accurate info.

"J"

Git Off My Lawn
Supporting Member
North Carolina
It'll be interesting to see how well it holds up. That seems extremely reasonable, from a price point.

A friend put one of these up years ago, not sure of the brand but he's since passed... He used it to store his firewood... Been up well over 15 years and still hanging in there....

hickslawns

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Ohio
One regret: I should have pulled the fence and moved a shipping container. This would have enabled me to have the opening facing north rather than west. I will likely add a privacy fence 30yds out or so to block some of the wind and sideways rain. Otherwise I may invest in a big canvas curtain on a steel cable to slide open or closed. Overall it will serve it's purpose of keeping equipment out of the sun and rain for the majority of the time. I'm pleased. $4777 was cost including tax and labor to assemble. Not cheap but reasonable for the size I ordered.

hickslawns

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Ohio
They started with rebar. Then added some big screw in anchors. They have a 90mph wind warranty available. It simply requires buying more anchors than I bought. Screw it. I have insurance. It is well anchored as it is. If we have winds strong enough to yank it out of the ground it will be an insurance claim anyway because it will likely hit our building and damage equipment too.

cflinchum

NW Ohio
I really cotemplated putting one up but for a few hundred more I put up a pole barn (probably could have broke even with a car port but I did some "upgrades" such as over hangs and what not