Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

LED dusk til dawn security lights

hickslawns

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Ohio
The LED shop lights have been a big hit. The guys like them. Too early to tell on the electric bill because our bill always goes up this time of the year. When I shut down the outdoor wood boiler, our electric hot water heater has to start heating on its own. We have also turned on the AC. The electric bill is higher but I haven't gone back to last year to see if it is comparable.

Sooooo. . . .Our security light on a pole (dusk to dawn light) quit working. I have bought two of these in the last 10yrs. At $60-80 a pop, I decided it was time to try something different. I spent more money on an LED light, but hope the benefits outweigh the additional cost. I did a lot of reading online of reviews. I settled on a CREE light. Tonight was the maiden voyage. It turned on and is impressive. It lights up our shop, pole barn, and the neighbor's building. I couldn't have positioned it much better. It shouldn't bother the neighbors behind me if they are enjoying their pond or a campfire around their pond. The light comes with a 5yr warranty and 70,000 hour bulb life. If it is on 10hrs per night it should give us over 19yrs of light at 70,000 hours. I'm not sure we have 10hrs of darkness a night. Guess it depends on the time of the year. Pics to come.

hickslawns

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Ohio

Second pic is behind the shop looking at the barn. As you can see, it is dark behind the shop. Light just barely touches the barn door but enough to see what you are doing. Enough to see if someone is lurking around who shouldn't be.

My truck isn't normally parked there. When it is moved I think it will light up the barn better.

hickslawns

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Ohio
I was wrong. It was a 50watt light which replaces 100-150 watt traditional dusk to dawn lights.