Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

Ali

Redhunter1012

Supporting Member
Hadn't been on all day. Thought I'd see something on here. Greatest Heavyweight of all time, IMO. I respect him for taking his stand, I guess. But never understood why he got to represent us at the Olympics, much the same as Bill Clinton being allowed to be POTUS

bowhunter1023

Owner/Operator
Staff member
Appalachia
He was a pioneer and easily the best heavyweight of all time next to Tyson. (Tyson would have beat Ali IMO). I don't agree with his politics, but I support people who act on conviction, which he did. IMO, the poor guy deserved to die a long time ago. It was a shame seeing one of the best deteriorate like his did, then live with it for as long as he did.

Jackalope

Dignitary Member
Staff member
A true legend. The man was fast. Scary fast. And could bob, weave, and duck a punch like nobody has ever been able to since.

Redhunter1012

Supporting Member
He was a pioneer and easily the best heavyweight of all time next to Tyson. (Tyson would have beat Ali IMO).

While I agree, I look at sports as I do inflation, todays Billionaires are the same as millionaires in the early days. People just have better info and tools to train as the years go on. Much like the arguments about DiMaggio and Ruth compared to todays baseball players. Now thats a discussion we should have on here. As many baseball nerds, myself included, are on here

antiqucycle

East Ohio
Bottom line though, a draft dodger taking bad advice from people who wanted to grab his cash, unlike Elvis Presley who did his service. Odds are if Ali had reported for duty, he would have never seen viet nam.
Don't forget him fighting Earnie Shavers who broke his jaw. Dundee had people watching the pay per view to see the round scoring by the judges. Ali was behind most of the fight till Earnie "ran out of gas".

Who saw the punch that took out Sonny Liston?