Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

How many of you have a back up bow?

at1010

*Supporting Member*
Ok well I am sure Jesse will give me some slack for this but does anyone have a backup bow?

I sold my PRIME (fucking sweet bow) and I have my Mathews Helim (love it, shoot it great).

However, I have been looking at Archerytalk and found some great deals on a few Hoyts as well as Mathews. I really love both those brands, I know others are great but I just personally have loved Mathews and Hoyt for awhile.

So my question, does anyone have a backup bow and a main bow?

jagermeister

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Ohio
At one point in time I had two bows but that was pretty short lived. Once I fell in love with my Strother I sold the Elite and have no regrets.

at1010

*Supporting Member*
Yea I love my helim. I know it ain't the fastest but it shoots great for me and I feel good with it.

However I have thought about buying a new bow in a year or two. I would most likely keep my helim as my backup and use the newer now as the main bow.

I love Mathews but they have really made a lot of changes that make me a hit uncomfortable, hence why I want to wait a few years to let glitches get worked out. Halon , no cam, for example

hickslawns

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Ohio
I never sold my old bow when I bought the last one. I had killed my first buck with it. It was plenty capable of performing. Both are nice bows. Had some issues with new bow the year I bought it. Killed all my deer with my "old bow". Reality is it wouldn't bring a lot of money and it has sentimental value. So I guess I have a "backup bow" but not because I feel I "need" a backup bow.

That said, I have one for the wife and kids I could use if both were broken. We also have a crossbow for Garrett and I never sold his old one. It is a loaner we have never loaned out. lol Does that mean I have 4 back up bows? lmao I mean, I'd rather not use a crossbow to kill deer but someday I won't have an option.

Redhunter1012

Supporting Member
I have an Xbow for a backup. I fear since they cut through my rib muscles during my surgery, that I will be using it this year. Never hurts to have one. Question is, if they are different bows, would it alter mechanics/accuracy shooting them both? Or you just talking keeping it to collect dust in case you main bow breaks/fails?

CJD3

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
NE Ohio
I shoot both compound and recurve for years.
I enjoy both schools of the string.

I have a target compound and a 3d/ hunting compound. Six recurves and a long bow. I used to have a hoyt Katera I kept as a hunting backup bow but I let it go. Compound strings are expensive and keeping up with 3 bows one of which I never shot wasn't worth it.

Last edited:

Jackalope

Dignitary Member
Staff member
I have every bow I've ever owned. Starting with a bear black bear, point blank raven, reflex highlander, and now a strother. Thinking about adding an xbow to the list. They're just too damn versatile and much more fun to use in a blind.

Bigslam51

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Stark County
I actually still have my first bow ever, got it when I was around 8 years old. It's a bear but I can't remember the model. It's in my parents garage somewhere.

at1010

*Supporting Member*
ok well now i won't feel bad if I find a deal, I will buy another bow! O and it begins!

Just 1 More

Elite GT500 (2010) primary hunting bow
Elite Judge (2010) back up hunting bow
Bear Kodiak Magnum (1962)
Bear 44 Mag (bow fishing bow)
Bear Mountain Star (1995, Killed my P&Y Elk so I hang on to it)
Barnett crossbow (for the women folk)
Browning Micro Adrenalin (was my daughters, she wont let me get rid of it..LOL)
Ben Pearson Javalina ( 1970's my first bow ever)
and a an old Martin from the '70's

xbowguy

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Licking Co. Ohio
I should be able to post with pictures by this afternoon but the one my buddy is going to sell is a TenPoint Venom awesome crossbow and he wants 900