Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

Thinking About Quitting my Job

Wmiller07

I am a piping designer at an engineering company and I've been doing it for the last 5 years. Over the last year or so I've been trying to think of ways to get out of it. The longer I sit in that stupid cubicle the more I hate it. I talked to the wife about possibly getting into personal training and she was fine with it. It will be a slow process as I wouldn't just up and quit with no real plan but I have to do something I'm passionate about or I think I will regret it. Any of you guys ever give up a good paying job to pursue a dream?

xbowguy

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Licking Co. Ohio
It's your life..... But: You can always get a job easier if you have a job. Quitting tells the new guy you are capable of up and quitting without a notice. A buddy who used to hire people said he views jobless people as lazy right off the bat.

Wmiller07

Right, like I said I wouldn't just up and quit. I have too many responsibilities to do that. I would continue workingthe job I have and start with one client. I wouldn't quit my current job until it's financially viable.

Bigslam51

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Stark County
Hopefully I have the balls to actually do it. I just can't imagine sitting in a cubicle for another 30+ years.
I can't imagine working in a 120° factory, climbing up and down a ladder 75 times a day for another 30 years either. Count your blessings and be thankful you get to work in an air conditioned environment;) If you think you can make a decent living as a personal trainer then do it.

Wmiller07

Think of things such as benefits and retirement. Consider all angles before making your adjustment.

That is a good point. Ive gotten to know the guys that own and manage the gym I train at now so I'm going to talk to them about it.

Wmiller07

I can't imagine working in a 120° factory, climbing up and down a ladder 75 times a day for another 30 years either. Count your blessings and be thankful you get to work in an air conditioned environment;) If you think you can make a decent living as a personal trainer then do it.

I understand that I'm blessed to have what I have. Its just that I'm not satisfied with what I'm doing. I do think can be successful at training. I've been lifting for 16 years and I think I can help people reach their goals.

Bigslam51

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Stark County
I understand that I'm blessed to have what I have. Its just that I'm not satisfied with what I'm doing. I do think can be successful at training. I've been lifting for 16 years and I think I can help people reach their goals.
Do it then. But like huntin2 said, just analyze the benefits and retirement.

Beentown

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Sunbury, OH
Depends. Helpful, right?

All the personal trainers I know live hand to mouth, paycheck to paycheck. Not saying you couldn't do it but just be aware.

Wmiller07

Depends. Helpful, right?

All the personal trainers I know live hand to mouth, paycheck to paycheck. Not saying you couldn't do it but just be aware.

I guess it depends on how much you put into it. I want to wait until after my powerlifting meet. I'm pretty sure I can win and give myself some legitimacy. I would also expand myself to online coaching.

at1010

*Supporting Member*
if you have a dream, aint no problem in chasing it.

You can find another job, yes you might have a "gap" on resume. However, you can spin it that you had an opportunity to invest in your own business and you took it. After a few years you are looking for something more stable and you dissolved the business so you could work a more steady job..... this is an example of how you could spin it.

If you are successful at training, you might end up opening a gym, then another one, then another one, etc. This could be because you have found something that no one else has, wants, pays for now, etc.

I am not telling you to quit you job, look into every aspect of your life and make a choice. However, you could end up doing some amazing things with it as well. No one ever got rich by not taking risks.

Wmiller07

Good advice at1010. Opening gyms would be the ultimate goal. I've developed my own program and its working really well. I want to use it to help other people reach their goals. I'm using this program to help a friend and he's been doing it for a month and he is hitting PR's. Its very satisfying.