Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

Red Clover Summer Plot

Frost seeded medium and mammoth red clovers this past february on last years plots.

Can't believe how well it came up! I gotta say, it's by far the cheapest and simplest way to get in a solid spring/summer plot without the hassle of equipment. Literally just threw it down and watched it grow. Granted, the field has been disced last year and planted with clover/radish mix.

Deer have really taken to it as well....plenty of browse on the taller clovers. Plus it's only going to improve soil. Highly recommend to anyone who doesn't want a ton of work for a great summer plot!

at1010

*Supporting Member*
you sure they gave you red clover? That looks like crimson clover which is typically a annual clover but it can reseed itself in the south typically. It looks great either way!

at1010

*Supporting Member*
Anyone know for sure? This one was bothering me, I am fairly sure it's Crimson tho.

at1010

*Supporting Member*
Does look like crimson, mammoth is a lighter red, almost pink.

yea i thought the same, even the head don't look right to me for a medium red. I believe that to be Crimson which is a good clover but in Ohio I am not sure it will reseed itself for next year. Its an annual clover that needs to reseed itself where as medium red would be good for years, at least that is my understanding.

Correct me if I am wrong!

Whoops, forgot to mention it was a mix and had some medium red AND crimson. The crimson did come in much thicker. Mammoth was seeded in my other plot that I didn't get pictures of as it didn't get come in quite as thick.