Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

KY or PA DIY Elk Hunt

Wmiller07

Has anyone on here ever gotten an elk tag in either of these states? I'm getting the bug to elk hunt and a Western hunt is just too expensive. Was just wondering if anyone had success.

Carpn

*Supporting Member*
Wooster
Been putting in for KY for a long time . If I ever do draw I'll probably pay a guide . I have a buddy whose soon drew , and knows a lot of people who have drawn . This guy put em on elk ...think he charges 1500...

Ohiosam

*Supporting Member*
Mahoning Co.
I've been applying for the PA hunt for something like 12-13 years. I apply for the bull only hunt. Chances are very low even with all my preference points. Not sure what KY chances are.

Wmiller07

I'm too cheap to pay a guide ha-ha. Maybe I should just buy preference points for PA as it will be awhile b4 I can go.

Qback5

If I ever get drawn for PA, knowing its once in a lifetime, I'd guide it. That area is pretty big woods, and it would just up the odds big time for your only chance you will ever have.

Carpn

*Supporting Member*
Wooster
KY is just a straight draw....Rifle Bull, Rifle Cow, Archery Bull , and archery Cow. I buy one chance for each. Hopefully get a archery tag, but your only allowed to buy one chance [per draw, but you can buy 4 chances so I put in for each.

teej89

NE PA
been applying for 15yrs since it opened in 2001....

KY would be your best option but my dad has been applying there since it opened and hasn't drawn. You should just save your money and just go hunt CO or MT OTC. Or put in for NM's lottery.

teej89

NE PA
Isn't it required to use a guide in new Mexico?

nope and it's a lottery, there are no preference points, so every non-resident has equal chance of drawing against other non resi's and same goes for residents. Less you're lucky like teenbowhunter and have family w/ property down there and you get tags every year lol

This year my buddy, his gf, his brother(resident) and me applied to a unit w/ 5% non resident draw success and like 30% resident and she drew and no one else did. This will be her first big game hunt w/ a bow, a NM bull lol

Wmiller07

nope and it's a lottery, there are no preference points, so every non-resident has equal chance of drawing against other non resi's and same goes for residents. Less you're lucky like teenbowhunter and have family w/ property down there and you get tags every year lol

This year my buddy, his gf, his brother(resident) and me applied to a unit w/ 5% non resident draw success and like 30% resident and she drew and no one else did. This will be her first big game hunt w/ a bow, a NM bull lol

That's awesome. Good luck to her.

Bigcountry40

From what I saw around $500 for Kentucky and 350 for Pennsylvania

I am going with my buddy to colorado this fall (if draw), he or anyone he has went with have never not gotten drawn (except our 1 unlucky buddy). We are DIY hunting, staying in base camp and it will basically cost each of us 1k including the tag.

Buckmaster

Portage
I am going with my buddy to colorado this fall (if draw), he or anyone he has went with have never not gotten drawn (except our 1 unlucky buddy). We are DIY hunting, staying in base camp and it will basically cost each of us 1k including the tag.

That's how my buddies roll, about $1K each. They came back with 2 a couple years ago. Most of the time they get skunked.

teej89

NE PA
From what I saw around $500 for Kentucky and 350 for Pennsylvania

pretty sure my CO bull tag this year was $600ish and my NM bull tag was $730(i didn't draw so only paid $8). You'll spend more money spending money on the KY/PA draw than it'd be to go hunt elk OTC this fall in CO.

finelyshedded

You know what!!!
Supporting Member
SW Ohio
My doctors teenage son (13-14 I think) killed a huge bull down in Ky this past Jan. 24-26(I think) at 35 yards with his compound bow. Not sure if it was guided but the bull was a slammer and prolly in top 5 killed thus far down there since they've been hunting them there. Saw pics and I'm thinking 370-390 somewhere's!

I need to start looking into putting my name in for a draw sometime since I'm not too far away.