Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

Pink Ping Pong Balls

"J"

Git Off My Lawn
Supporting Member
North Carolina
So this wealthy man loves his son dearly. He'd do anything for him. His 4th birthday is coming up and he says "son, what would you like for your birthday? Anything you want, just name it."
The son thinks for awhile and replies "dad, I want a pink ping pong ball".
The dad laughs and ruffles his son's hair. "Ok sport, anything else?"
The day of the party arrives and there's tons of gifts. Sure enough, the one that the son likes the best is a little box with a pink ping pong ball.
Next year the dad asks again, "what do you want for your birthday?"
The kid replies, " I want a power wheels jeep! With working lights! And I want the back seat full of pink ping pong balls"
This goes on year after year. Dad, I want a bike with a bell and a water bottle full of pink ping pong balls. Dad, I want my own sleeping bag and a tent full of pink ping pong balls. Dad..
The father humored his son at first but now that it's been 16 years he's getting mad. He figures his son should have grown out of this phase by now. It's just strange.
He asks his son, "what would you like for your birthday? And DONT say anything about ping pong balls!"
His son rushes over to his desk and grabs some car mags. He starts flipping through, talking excitedly. "Dad!", he says. "Dad, oh please you have to get me a mustang." He starts rattling off stats about horsepower, acceleration times, different custom made models over the years...
The dad is thrilled. Finally his son is passionate about something other than those damn ping pong balls!
The tells his son about his first car and they talk for a long time. As he's leaving his son says, "hey dad, can I get it with a trunk full of pink ping pong balls?"
The dad slams the door. He goes down and sits in his recliner. Trying to think of what this all means. His son is clearly obsessed, but is it such a bad thing? Should he send him to a shrink? Is there any harm in pink ping pong balls?
He gets his son the car, complete with the ping pong balls.
Now it's time for high school graduation. "Son, I have a special surprise planned. It turns out there is only one plant in the world that manufacturers pink ping pong balls. We are going to take the yacht down the coast, I've arranged for us to take a tour of the factory. You'll even be able to help make a batch of pink ping pong balls and we'll take an entire crate home with us!"
The son is thrilled! All he talks about is the upcoming trip.
On the way down they hit a bad storm. They batten down and sit inside the boat. The waves are coming over the rails, the radio antenna is ripped off, the generator goes down and they're left in the dark.
The sound they hoped theyd never hear comes. A loud crack! Water starts to fill their boat.
They pray together, knowing this will most likely be their last moments. The water reaches their ankles. Their knees. They hug as the water reaches their chests.
The father let's out a breath and says "son, I just have to know."
"Know what, dad?"
"Son, I would never judge you, but I have to know. What's the deal with these pink ping pong balls? Year after year? And always the same color! Never a blue, or a white, or a green.... Son?"
The boy laughs a little. "Really? After all this time? I swear I thought you knew?"
"Son, tell me please"
"Dad, its simple. I... I...."
Glub, glub, gurgle, gurlgle