Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

A Gorgeous Blonde by My Pool..

Fletch

Supporting Member
Went to uncover my pool earlier and glanced back by the wood line and there was this beautiful BLONDE MOREL...... Going to stuff with bread crumbs later and enjoy with a nice cold Saint Pauli Girl...

Fletch

Supporting Member
What's in the soil over there Rich??? lol.... You close too a reactor??? lol

"J"... You might be on to something there, as over the last couple years I found a few big ones in my yard.. Funny thing is there are no Ash's, Tulip Tree's, Apple Trees even close to this spot... Last year there were about 20 of them growing close to this spot. And to think I've been out wandering the local wood's about 6 times this year looking for morels and only found two greys..

I was born and raised in Western Pa. and as a kid as soon as the dandelions started popping up my Dad would be out picking Morels. And we did quite well every year.. Then we moved to New Jersey. Every spring he would say lets go check that woods I'll bet there are Morels in there.. Nothing.. I have quite a chunk of state land across from my house and we roamed that every spring.. Once again NOTHING.. Then in 1992 he passed on. So I took off from work that week for the funeral and a few days later I was cutting my grass. There was a big morel in the middle of my lawn. HUH??? I finished the lawn grabbed a shopping bag and knife and off I went across the street (where we looked every year for 10 years and found nothing).. I filled a large paper shopping bag and left and came back with my brother to fill 2 more bag's... They were everywhere you looked... Strangest thing...Makes you wonder.. This hillside has since grown up so thick you can't even get through and there are less and less morels every year. But I usually find a few in my yard every year... Here's another Big One from years past.

"J"

Git Off My Lawn
Supporting Member
North Carolina
Every bit of 6" that always a good find.... They been out in full force on the properties I groundhog hunt.... They're parking trucks in different locations and walking all over gods creation looking for them.... Don't seem too be a good year from what I'm hearing so far around us....

Fletch

Supporting Member
My friends farm in Illinois normally has a ton.. This year he hasn't found any.. So maybe its a bad year for them. I said it in another thread.. Strange mushroom to figure out. My Dad always cut them off leaving the root to grow back. I always cut them and NEVER find them there the next year. Some say you should use a basket to pick mushrooms so you are spreading the spores throughout the woods as you walk. But I've read where morels don't have spores.. My Dad always told us when you find one... DON'T MOVE... He has a buddy near by.. 99% of the time there is another one within eyesight. I had given up looking for the year until today... Now I have to get out another day. Like having a bad round of golf, your ready to sell the clubs and can't wait to throw them in the back of your vehicle. Then on the 18th hole you smack the cover off the ball and birdie the hole.. LOL

finelyshedded

You know what!!!
Supporting Member
SW Ohio
My friends farm in Illinois normally has a ton.. This year he hasn't found any.. So maybe its a bad year for them. I said it in another thread.. Strange mushroom to figure out. My Dad always cut them off leaving the root to grow back. I always cut them and NEVER find them there the next year. Some say you should use a basket to pick mushrooms so you are spreading the spores throughout the woods as you walk. But I've read where morels don't have spores.. My Dad always told us when you find one... DON'T MOVE... He has a buddy near by.. 99% of the time there is another one within eyesight. I had given up looking for the year until today... Now I have to get out another day. Like having a bad round of golf, your ready to sell the clubs and can't wait to throw them in the back of your vehicle. Then on the 18th hole you smack the cover off the ball and birdie the hole.. LOL

LMAO, same goes with shed hunting TOO Rich! Renewed faith I guess...:smiley_crocodile: