Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

Sthl 291 tension screw

at1010

*Supporting Member*
Anyone ever replace a tension screw on a sthl 291? Somehow I managed to split mine in two pieces. Think bar nuts were too right when I went to adjust the nut.

Anyone looks for some guidance on replacement or if I should just take it to a shop.

xbowguy

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Licking Co. Ohio
Anymore, I go straight to Youtube for whatever I need to fix. If it is not on there.......not sure I would mess with it.

I found some video's on the Stihl at Youtube......

Last edited:

at1010

*Supporting Member*
Anymore, I go straight to Youtube for whatever I need to fix. If it is not on there.......not sure I would mess with it.

I found some video's on the Stihl at Youtube......

Great idea. Let me check those out!

at1010

*Supporting Member*
can't seem to find anything on this, guess ill run it up to the shop.....darn!

"J"

Git Off My Lawn
Supporting Member
North Carolina
Can't you just unscrew it and it separates from the pin that goes in the bar? Once the screw separates the pin the screw should slide/screw the rest of the way out of the saw.....

"J"

Git Off My Lawn
Supporting Member
North Carolina
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1462723330.968526.jpg

Joel

Centerburg, Ohio
It might not be too expensive at a shop. I like doing stuff like that myself too but I would guess they could fix it pretty cheap. Part can't be that expensive and I wouldn't think there's much labor time in it.

at1010

*Supporting Member*
Yea I couldn't find jack. I'm running to shop tomorrow and gunna stop at the rural king next door. That's a good day!

at1010

*Supporting Member*
Rural King is a great store and good pricing. The people inside never cease to impress me hahaha.

I always buy 3 times as much stuff as I went in there for too.

"J"

Git Off My Lawn
Supporting Member
North Carolina
I had a stihl years ago before the Husky and looking at them online it don't look too difficult to swap them out.... Unless I'm missing something....

at1010

*Supporting Member*
So I got the part and it's not too hard to swap out but you do have to take the panel off the front by where the bar nuts connect. Not the piece that covers the bar but actual piece where the tension screw sits.

It was 20 bucks or 25 bucks for the dealer to do it, part included so I said fugg it.