Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

Thoughts please

motorbreaker

*Supporting Member I*
North of Toledo
We are going to raise a box blind 6-7 feet on one of our propertys. We had a spot picked out but since then the farm behind us has sold and the new owner is going to cut down all the wood and make cattle pasture. This area is outlined in blue. We were going to put the blind where the red dot is and hunt it on a east wind. Now I'm thinking it may be better to put the blind where the black dot is and hunt it on a west wind. As the deer will not be coming out of the woods that is being cut down now. The deer do run the north south fence line and I'm thinking they will be on our side now that the woods will be gone and there will be cattle pasture there. The clearing between the dots is a 1 acre food plot. The orange dot is a ladder stand we use to hunt on east winds but since the woods was logged the deer come out on either side of that stand, Making it tough to hunt. The white line is our access trail. The yellow line is our property line.
We are going to camp to put the blind up next week and im not sure what would be best so I figured why not ask you guys. Sorry the picture is not better.

aarial.jpg

hickslawns

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Ohio
Not knowing how their patterns will change after it is cleared makes it tough. Black dot on a west wind doesn't look bad since they work that fence line.

Hoytmania

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Gods Country
If I was you, and I know it would be tough. I'd wait and hunt this season to find out how the patterns will change. It would really suck to go through all the trouble and labor to raise that blind and then fin out its in the wrong spot.

finelyshedded

You know what!!!
Supporting Member
SW Ohio
I hate hearing of another farmer clear cutting another stand of timber to allow yet more run off! It takes 3 decades and more for them to get established then poof they're gone! I see a lot of field already there TOO! Oh well, sorry to hear, rant over!

Like others have said, maybe a wait and see approach would be best. If you guys make this elevated box blind air tight enough and are scent cautious like I think you already are why not build it right at the end of your access trail? Less scent on the ground and slip in a slip out easier even with deer in plot at dark. Just sayin!

motorbreaker

*Supporting Member I*
North of Toledo
Thanks for the thoughts guys. The area in red is not level enough to put the blind on wheels. It is level in at the black dot.
The blind is on runners but its inside the food plot now to be level.
Your thoughts have changed my mind on doing it this year. Wont hurt to wait and see what actually happens this season. We did kill a couple does out of it last year. But the blind just sits to low for that area.
I like the idea of putting it at the end of the access trail. If the deer move the way I think they will it will proly end up there.
Thanks again guys.

bowhunter1023

Owner/Operator
Staff member
Appalachia
What is the prevailing wind in that area?

If it's me in this situation, I build this for a W wind because that captures our general wind direction 80% of the time. I'm looking for flawless access too because if I'm building something like this, I want to use it frequently, conveniently, and/or with wife/kids. The lack of trees is something I'd consider, but I would be more concerned about access and view on my place than on the places I can't control.

Good luck man. Seems like a fun project either way!

motorbreaker

*Supporting Member I*
North of Toledo
Prevailing winds are sw. We do get a lot of east winds to. Easterly winds is when we typically hunted this area.
I don't want to set up for a west wind until im sure they are going to take out that woods because the way it is now deer come out of that woods to eat on our plot and our sent would be blowing in there with a west wind.
As far as access goes it would be better to put the blind on the n/w corner of the plot.
A lot of the reason we want to raise the blind is because you cant see much out of it. Its hard to see in the picture but there are a lot of elevation changes in the area. Deer can be eating in the corner of the plot and you cant see them from the blind.
Another thing is that out of the 20 something stands and blinds we have set up only a few are good for easterly winds. So we need east wind spots. Thanks for the reply Jesse

The last 2 years they have run 2 gaslines across the property that I hunt. The first one didn't seem to change deer movements that much, but the second one sure did. I agree with the others that it is a wait and see thing. I would build it so even if it doesn't have wheels, that I could relatively easily move it a year or 2 down the road.

motorbreaker

*Supporting Member I*
North of Toledo
When is the new owner gonna get around to cutting? Are you sure it's gonna happen this year?

Just got back from camp. The owners have took out all the woods on a property they bought down the road from us but I couldn't see that they had did anything on the property next to us yet. Its proly just a matter of time. We left the blind where its at and raised it up 16" with blocks. Thanks for the replys guys.

Bigslam51

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Stark County
Just got back from camp. The owners have took out all the woods on a property they bought down the road from us but I couldn't see that they had did anything on the property next to us yet. Its proly just a matter of time. We left the blind where its at and raised it up 16" with blocks. Thanks for the replys guys.
How many acres did they take out?