Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

If you hear no gobbling at all...

teej89

NE PA
And you don't have any property that butts up against fields, it's all timber and thick cut overs....

What's your game plan when sunrise hits? I find myself dumbfounded at sunrise then I just end up walking every ridge I can trying to get something to gobble to no avail then falling asleep lol All the birds I heard for 4 weeks prior to the season seem to have shut up after being hunted for the first 5 days of the season. Every weekend I'd scout they'd be hammering, opening monday they were going nuts but there were 5 guys at the gate I was hunting and already at the spot I wanted to be at(never saw anyone while scouting so didn't plan on being in the woods 2hrs before sunrise like they did) then come back Friday and... barely any gobbling on the roost and as soon as they hit the ground nothing.

Mike

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Up Nort
I have lots of birds in the area during the fall. Where they go come spring I have no clue. I hate turkey hunting. I'll be going in the morning.

Jackalope

Dignitary Member
Staff member
Birds flock up in the winter in certain areas. Before spring they start to establish their picking orders. They bust up into groups of hens and Tom's typically follow them. The Tom's also establish a pecking order. Hens will typically return to the same area each year to nest. The hens that are born there will also return to that area. This means just because you see birds there in the fall or in the winter it does not mean they will be there come spring. If you're convinced those birds are still there just not gobbling. Make little 20 minute sets everywhere. They may hear you and come in Silent.

Boarhead

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
The birds in my area are henned up real bad right now but like Joe said move around and call and if one is close he may answer.
I have been having luck later in the morning getting them to gobble and come in after some of the hens leave the boys.

Blan37

SW Ohio
Do you guys ever go out in the evenings or is it strictly mornings this time of year? Hunting deer last year I saw turkeys a half dozen times or so in the evenings, but never in the mornings.

Bigslam51

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Stark County
Do you guys ever go out in the evenings or is it strictly mornings this time of year? Hunting deer last year I saw turkeys a half dozen times or so in the evenings, but never in the mornings.
First two weeks of season you can only hunt til noon, second half is all day.

hickslawns

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Ohio
If I am out in the evening it is in an attempt to roost some birds. Not hunting. That is illegal right now.

Mao

Coshocton, OH
And you don't have any property that butts up against fields, it's all timber and thick cut overs....

What's your game plan when sunrise hits? I find myself dumbfounded at sunrise then I just end up walking every ridge I can trying to get something to gobble to no avail then falling asleep lol All the birds I heard for 4 weeks prior to the season seem to have shut up after being hunted for the first 5 days of the season. Every weekend I'd scout they'd be hammering, opening monday they were going nuts but there were 5 guys at the gate I was hunting and already at the spot I wanted to be at(never saw anyone while scouting so didn't plan on being in the woods 2hrs before sunrise like they did) then come back Friday and... barely any gobbling on the roost and as soon as they hit the ground nothing.

My guess is that your competiton killed a few of them. The remaining birds have moved along elsewhere, but doesn't mean they won't be back or new bird will show up. For the last 3 years I have listened to at least a couple birds I was after get shot, I'm sure others were to that I wasn't around to hear. Again, just my guess if there are a lot of guys hunting them like you mentioned. Good luck!

teej89

NE PA
My guess is that your competiton killed a few of them. The remaining birds have moved along elsewhere, but doesn't mean they won't be back or new bird will show up. For the last 3 years I have listened to at least a couple birds I was after get shot, I'm sure others were to that I wasn't around to hear. Again, just my guess if there are a lot of guys hunting them like you mentioned. Good luck!

That's what I'm assuming as well, I probably should have taken off the entire first week but it's hard to justify taking off an entire day of work when I can only hunt till noon.

Imma bank on some more birds moving into the area

teej89

NE PA
All the gobbling was on private land once again. Across a stream, a field and a road lol

New plan: set up where I've seen Em roost the second week of April, there's scratching a everywhere and sit there 6a to 12p and call ever 5min with a hen decoy in front of me. Whatcha think?

Bigslam51

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Stark County
All the gobbling was on private land once again. Across a stream, a field and a road lol

New plan: set up where I've seen Em roost the second week of April, there's scratching a everywhere and sit there 6a to 12p and call ever 5min with a hen decoy in front of me. Whatcha think?
Idk if I'd call every 5 minutes or even use a decoy at all if they are already scratching in that area. Maybe throw out a few yelps every 20-30 mins but I wouldn't over do it.

teej89

NE PA
Idk if I'd call every 5 minutes or even use a decoy at all if they are already scratching in that area. Maybe throw out a few yelps every 20-30 mins but I wouldn't over do it.

Awesome thanks chad! I've always tried turkey hunting but am by far a rookie at it lol! Killed a couple by patterning Em in their strut zones or running into horny jakes that'd come in any inexperienced caller.

Bigslam51

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Stark County
Awesome thanks chad! I've always tried turkey hunting but am by far a rookie at it lol! Killed a couple by patterning Em in their strut zones or running into horny jakes that'd come in any inexperienced caller.
I'm no expert, but that's what I'd do. Especially on public land.