Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

BigSlams 2016 food plots

Boarhead

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Chad forgot how to upload pics so i am doing it for him.
Better make sure he has his helmet on.lol
Ha they look good Chad.

Attachments

• IMG_20160429_094718914.jpg
    IMG_20160429_094718914.jpg
    262.9 KB · Views: 173
  • IMG_20160429_094807732.jpg
    IMG_20160429_094807732.jpg
    258.9 KB · Views: 155

Bigslam51

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Stark County
Fugger! I tilled all that with my 18" cub cadet. 95% of it was in one wheel drive because I broke the bolt on the right wheel shaft. Planted the summer mix I got from NWTF and top seeded it with invite woodland mix. Ran it over with the raptor after first seeding then again after the second.

Last edited:

Bigslam51

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Stark County
The top pic is running towards the east and right up against a bedding area, the bottom pic is running west and that end will be close to a new corn field the farmer is putting in this year. There's a pasture that butts right up against this plot on the north side and is fenced off, that is a perfect in and out for this plot. Don't know how much or if I'll even hunt it but my cameras will tell that later on in the summer. If anything it'll benefit the local wildlife.

Last edited:

Bigslam51

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Stark County
Damn! That looks good man. I'll be watching the progress, I always wondered how well that Eagle seed would do semi shaded.
Thanks Dave, Hopefully it does ok, I'm a little low on the pH side but I've got plenty of fertilizer. I also limed it a few weeks prior to planting.

Last edited:

Bigslam51

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Stark County
Oats and some clover are sprouting up nicely after all the rain we got. And some other stuff that kind of look like soybeans, never grew them before so I don't know.

hickslawns

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Ohio
Good stuff Chad. TOO bad we weren't closer. I'd gladly lend you the tractor and tiller in exchange for you planting some of my stuff. You would get some bigger plots or at least not break your back. I would actually get mine in the ground. As it is, I don't know that I will get any done this year. Too stinking busy. Oh well. Hope yours pans out for you!

Bigslam51

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Stark County
Good stuff Chad. TOO bad we weren't closer. I'd gladly lend you the tractor and tiller in exchange for you planting some of my stuff. You would get some bigger plots or at least not break your back. I would actually get mine in the ground. As it is, I don't know that I will get any done this year. Too stinking busy. Oh well. Hope yours pans out for you!
That would be nice! I enjoy doing this stuff but a tractor with a tiller would definitely save me some time and back aches lol.

Bigslam51

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Stark County
Thanks guys, my only fear is that I planted the summer mix with the beans in it too early. They are sprouting up so we'll see.

at1010

*Supporting Member*
Thanks guys, my only fear is that I planted the summer mix with the beans in it too early. They are sprouting up so we'll see.

you should be fine buddy. A lot of guys have been planting beans for food plots already. The will probably be gone come hunting season but thats the beauty of small grains/brassicas. Just go in and broadcast some right before a rain.

I normally just do oats from TSC and Turnips from a COOP. Right before a rain in July/August and I have had great luck!

Bigslam51

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Stark County
Yes it is, I'm very pleased so far! Got news the other day that the farmer is putting in beans instead of corn beside to the west of this plot. This could serve as a staging area early season before they go out to hammer the beans. I put a camera on the plot on Sunday.