Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

Went shroomin and found a mess

oakswamper

around Toledo
A mess of trees on the ground :smiley_blackeye:

I just cut up this big oak tree to get it out of the field and the one beside it decided I need to cut more

looking from the other side. The trees root system grow out instead of down around here so when the trees get big it's like dominos

this is just the extreme north end of the property and I counted 9 trees on the ground can't imagine how many are down on the rest

Looks like I'm gonna have a lot of wood cut for the smoker. There wasn't anything green in the woods around here so it's gonna be a few days before the shrooms start showing up

finelyshedded

You know what!!!
Supporting Member
SW Ohio
Dang! Let me guess which oak variety........Pin Oaks, by chance?!?! I've cut up a half dozen or so over the past decade around my property. They were all setting along an old fence row surrounding the block of timber I built our house inside of and they just fell over as well. Their roots evidently suck at growing deep and the trees typically grow off to one direction and start to lean. When they get so top heavy and since they are sitting in wet or soggy ground all it takes is a good gust of wind and down they go!

Well, at least you'll have plenty of firewood to cut up and split! Id rather be picking mushrooms though.... Lol

oakswamper

around Toledo
Yep these two were Pin Oak, I've got just as many Black Oak down but they seem to get bigger before they hit the ground. White oaks seem to do the best in this sandy soil, I've never had one fall like the other two in the 30 years I've been taking care of the property but there isn't that many big ones