Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

Tagged out

Carpn

*Supporting Member*
Wooster
My morning started out at a different property . One of the hardest things about turkey hunting is avoiding other hunters , and hens. Well I had a good setup on a good bird but at 545 here came some other guys who walked right in within sight of the roosted tom. Needless to say the bird didn't cooperate.

At about 8 I was in the truck on my way to another property. On Monday when carl killed his bird he didn't shoot the biggest bird in the bunch so I knew there was one other longbeard in that area. I parked and made my way thru the woods on a road calling every 100 yds. As I got towards the backside near a small cornfield where carl killed his Monday . I stopped short and instaed of calling just waited to see if anything would gobble on its own. Its always better if they gobble on their own so you can take your time and choose your set up. I just had a feeling they were there so I waited, I wasn't standing there long and a bird gobbled in the field within 150 yds...Perfect. I eased up the rd and stuck a hen decoy on the outside of the bend, then backed off 25 yds and took a seat with my back against a big oak tree sitting in the shadow. I softly yelped on my slate call and about 10 seconds later the bird gobbled. I waited a minute and called a little louder and scratched the dry oak leaves like a hen searching for stuff to peck. He gobble again a few seconds later and I could tell he was getting closer. I choose to remain silent, he already knew where I was and was interested....let him worry. After a couple minutes he gobbled and was obviously on the field edge. When he gobbled a couple jakes gobbled also. I called softly, did some scratching, and got the gun up, and took my safety off. I expected him to come up the road which lead to the field but my eyes caught movement in the timber along the rd...in a couple seconds he broke into the open and stood up straight to look for the hen, I waited looking for a long beard, he took one more step forward surveying the area and I could see he was a long beard. , At 30 yds I settled the beard on his neck, took a extra second and pulled the trigger. He went limp like a sack of potates and layed there.

It was a really great hunt, and as I approached him he commenced to flopping as turkeys who have received trauma to the nervous system do. I waited and when he finally went limp I couldn't believe how beautiful he was laying on the dry oak leaves. The sun was shining off his feathers and the iridescent colors when amazing. I truly feel sorry for non hunters who've never got the experience the beaty of s spring morning, and a gobbler shining in the sun.

Carpn

*Supporting Member*
Wooster
His beard was unimpressive at a thin 10" but his spurs were 1 3/8 and 1 1/2 inches. He is pretty heavy, but I don't have a way to weigh him. Its been a few yrs since I've killed a bird with spurs over a 1 1/4 and the majority of the turkeys I've killed in this area have 7/8 or 1' spurs. I love rolling em over and seeing them hooks