Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

chimney questions round 2

at1010

*Supporting Member*
well I am still having drafting issue with my chimneys

1. It smells like smoke in home when no fire is burning. I have researched and I think it is due to the ash dumb door not sealing. I have a new one on way, and being installed.
2. I am also having the pipe go up through the chimney cap soon because it is still coming back into the basement flue and dumping smoke into basement when I am burning upstairs.

I had to get a chimney liner for my hot water tank about 3 months ago. after they did that this is when i noticed the smoke smell in my house even when a fire wasn't burning. Could this be due to a chimney liner from a hot water tank?

Also what is this vent coming off the back of the chimney? I think this could be causing some back drafting issues.

IMG_1629-4.JPG

Jackalope

Dignitary Member
Staff member
That bent looks like an outside air supply. My wood stove had one where it sucks air in from the outside instead of the inside.

at1010

*Supporting Member*
That bent looks like an outside air supply. My wood stove had one where it sucks air in from the outside instead of the inside.

That's what I am thinking. I think it's causing air to be sucked in when a fire is not burning causing the smell of smoke in the house when conditions are right. Could that be?

at1010

*Supporting Member*
also anyone know about the chimney liner question above from a water heater? Could that have any effect on drafting issues into the house?

Hoytmania

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Gods Country
The only reason a chimney liner for your hot water tank would cause issues is if the covered the flu for the fireplace when they put the liner in. It should be two totally seperate flus though.

at1010

*Supporting Member*
The only reason a chimney liner for your hot water tank would cause issues is if the covered the flu for the fireplace when they put the liner in. It should be two totally seperate flus though.

I am pretty sure they ran it through the same chimney that the 2 fireplaces vent through. I am not sure but something isn't right.

Hoytmania

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Gods Country
Your water heater should have NEVER vented into the same flu as a fireplace. As a matter of fact, if there are 2 fireplaces utilizing the same chimney, each should have its own flu in the chimney. That's why when you look at chimneys you will see 2-3 flus sticking up out of them.