Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

gun raffles? are they worth the time?

antiqucycle

East Ohio
There is a 60 gun raffle coming up in May in Trumbull County. Whats your opinion on attending raffles like this and being fed cheap hamburgers and marginal baked beans? along with adult beverages to win a gun that might not really br what you want?

Personally, I think attending is a waste of time, maybe a waste of money too when you have no idea which gun you might win.

DJK Frank 16

Supporting Member
Hardin County
Most of the raffles that I've participated in have been $10-$20 for a chance to win a decent selection. IMO at that price, any gun is worth winning.

Huckleberry Finn

Well since you mentioned it, I know of a gun raffle that is for good guns with limited tickets and the balance goes to promote hunting...

bowhunter1023

Owner/Operator
Staff member
Appalachia
I mean come on. You can win a gun and that's some how a bad thing?!? If it sounds like such such a bad time, you could just not go. Simple solution. Unless this was a "life or death" situation of course. Are you being threatened with an ill fate if you don't attend?

Ohiosam

*Supporting Member*
Mahoning Co.
The 60 gun raffle benefits the Trumbull co Federation of sportsmen's clubs. So it supports a good cause, if you happen to win (I never win :-( ) it's a bonus. You go, maybe see some friends, maybe meet some new people, have a bite and a drink and go home. If you sole interest is in winning gun it's a waste of time.

Bigslam51

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Stark County
The 60 gun raffle benefits the Trumbull co Federation of sportsmen's clubs. So it supports a good cause, if you happen to win (I never win :-( ) it's a bonus. You go, maybe see some friends, maybe meet some new people, have a bite and a drink and go home. If you sole interest is in winning gun it's a waste of time.
Sounds like a good excuse to party IMO.

"J"

Git Off My Lawn
Supporting Member
North Carolina
I've bought tickets for it (that is if it's the Yankee lake dinner) never won but know lots of guys who did... They allow you too upgrade just make up the difference is all... Go have some fun and help out the federation...

jagermeister

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Ohio
I go to a $10 raffle a time or two each year. Usually it benefits the fire dept the American legion or what have you, and there's beer and all you can eat sandwiches. I never win anything but they're a good time. I also attend and sponsor the local chapter Pheasants Forever banquet each year. More expensive but it's a fantastic event and the money is put directly into habitat and conservation.

There are many things in this world that one can "waste" money on. What I consider wasteful is not necessarily true for the next person. All that matters is the opinion of the one who's pulling out their wallet.

Dannmann801

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Springboro
I won the USSA weekly raffle one year, didn't the next. Hope I do this year.
It's a great feeling when you win! :smiley_coolpeace: and support Sean and the Association

hickslawns

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Ohio
Depends on the organization having the raffle. If a good cause I spend $10-20. Usually $10 cause I'm cheap. Winning is a bonus.

Riverdude

The Happy Hunting Grounds Beyond
Supporting Member
Ashtabula, Ohio
Years ago I was at a Ducks Unlimited dinner / raffle and a guy won a "Ducks Unlimited" 10 Gauge. He did not hunt so I offered him $100.00 and bought it from him. :smiley_bril:

Buckmaster

Portage
All are organizational fundraisers generally for a great cause. Simply a donation in my eyes.
Personally, I've never been to one.....I simply buy the $25-$50 ticket for the donation factor and hope I get a phone call later.
I'm still awaiting all my phone calls.....thus I'm not that lucky. :smiley_coolpeace: