Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

Truck Stance - Ford Level Kits

bowhunter1023

Owner/Operator
Staff member
Appalachia
The stance of my truck sucks. It's way more nose down than other similar year Fords I see. It rides well (for a Ford truck) so I don't think there's anything wrong. But it looks goofy...

I've been considering the front end leveling kits. For less than $100, I can level the truck out and make it look a little better. Plus if/when I want to add some more aggressive tires, I can do so. I've read about the leveling kits causing issues with joints/bearings due to changing the camber and other angles. Any one have any experience with leveling kits on Fords? Suggestions/recommendations/regrets/advice?

bowhunter1023

Owner/Operator
Staff member
Appalachia
I think it would look better raised up a couple inches in the front, then add some beefier tires.

Well...

This just happened: http://www.roughcountry.com/ford-leveling-lift-kit-570.html

I ran Nitto Trail Grappler on my company trucks and got 40K miles out of them. Ihave 265/70/17s on there now and could go to a 285/70/17 with the leveling kit. I won't do that until I hear about the status of my current job. But once I know my contract is getting picked up, I'm either working on this truck or trading it in. The leveling kit in the mean time will help the appearance.

jagermeister

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Ohio
I hate the stock stance. But I do like to have a bit of nose down... Because a truck that sags when towing looks like shit too.

I bought a kit from AutoSpring. 1.5" spring spacers for the front and 3" blocks for the rear. It brought the entire truck up several inches, leveled it out more, and yet keeps just a bit of slope left in the front. 2012 F150 stx. I've been running 33s on it with zero clearance issues. I'll likely go just a bit bigger yet on the next set.

I think as long as you don't go too tall on the front the problems with joints and tie rods will be minimal. I think it's important to measure the truck before buying a kit. A truck with the factory slope forward is not sexy, but a truck that leans backwards after a bad level looks WAY worse.

bowhunter1023

Owner/Operator
Staff member
Appalachia
I measured per their suggestions and 2.5 was the way to go. That should leave me slightly nose down unloaded and level with a 2K load. I'm about to haul a ton of gravel in the bed, so it'll be interesting to see what happens then.

jagermeister

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Ohio
I measured per their suggestions and 2.5 was the way to go. That should leave me slightly nose down unloaded and level with a 2K load. I'm about to haul a ton of gravel in the bed, so it'll be interesting to see what happens then.
Rough Country makes a good kit. I think if you followed their recommendation you should be fine. With the AutoSpring kit, the 1.5" spacers actually yield a lift off 2 - 2.5", so you have to read up on each kit thoroughly. I think you'll be fine. Might sag a tad if you're hauling a heavy load of stone, but really, how often are you going to be doing that?

Beentown

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Sunbury, OH
Hooked up the 6x12 trailer and hauled the Kubota (2K lbs) the other day and it still say nose down. WTF? LOL
Must have been either upgraded or the weight wasn't far enough forward on the trailer. Most Fords need that rake as they squat hard hauling anything.

bowhunter1023

Owner/Operator
Staff member
Appalachia
Weight was as forward as it gets for that combo. I've seen dozens of 2004-2008 XLTs on the road and mine is always more nose down. I can't see anything aftermarket on the rear end, but I didn't crawl under there either.

Bigslam51

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Stark County
Must have been either upgraded or the weight wasn't far enough forward on the trailer. Most Fords need that rake as they squat hard hauling anything.
I pulled a Kubota B26 with a bucket and backhoe and mine hardly dipped in the rear end. I think that tractor with the bucket and backhoe weighs almost 2 tons.