Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

Fiberglass repair help.

Ohiosam

*Supporting Member*
Mahoning Co.
I broke one of the engine compartment panels from my skid steer. Deere wants $625 for a replacement. I want to try and fix it. I went to Napa and got a fiberglass repair kit. Cosmetically it doesn't have to be perfect but I want it strong. I plan on doing most of the work on the backside. I've never done this and looking for any tips or advise. Btw Jay is helping but he's a newb TOO.

hickslawns

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Ohio
Mmm. . . My experience is on HMMV hoods. At that time it was a matter of grinding down on both sides of the crack and filling with layers of the mesh covered in epoxy and repeating. Then do a final sanding. Never tried anything this large. It was the govt. We threw them out if they were cracked most of the distance of the hood.

Be sure to wear a good dust mask (preferably a respirator) because those fibers in your lungs are not going to be fun.

jagermeister

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Ohio
+1 to what Phil said.

It's been quite a while since I've done any glass work, but I think I'd approach it like this: Work from the back side. Grind away any gelcoat to expose the bare fiberglass. Probably at least 3 or 4 inches on either side of the crack. Push crack together and stabilize. Brush with resin, layer in your mesh fiberglass, and coat with more resin. Allow to cure. Then I'd go back to the outside side and fill the remaining crack with resin or bondo, followed by primer/paint.

I'm no fiberglass expert so I could be way off. Hopefully someone with more experience will chime in. I'm just spit balling how I think I'd tackle it in my own garage.

"J"

Git Off My Lawn
Supporting Member
North Carolina
Cosmetically it's going to be ugly but should be able too make it hold even if we have to do some drilling lmao.... Paint it yellow and from across the street you'll never notice lol

hickslawns

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Ohio
Cosmetically it's going to be ugly but should be able too make it hold even if we have to do some drilling lmao.... Paint it yellow and from across the street you'll never notice lol

It should match it's owner though. mischeif.gif:smiley_couch:

Jackalope

Dignitary Member
Staff member
Te best stuff I've found and was very surprised with was called plastic weld. It's a two part epoxy in the double barreled syringe. I pulled up too far and broke a fog light bracket on my harley edition truck. Flat plastic about 1/8 inch thick. I epoxied it back together at the snap and it held like new.

bigten05

*Supporting Member*
knox county ohio
i do alot of body work and we use a glue that is 2 parts, i would put some epoxy or glue in there and clamp it then add some fiberglass to the back of it. norton makes a good product so does 3m but i t can be pricey.

jagermeister

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Ohio
Te best stuff I've found and was very surprised with was called plastic weld. It's a two part epoxy in the double barreled syringe. I pulled up too far and broke a fog light bracket on my harley edition truck. Flat plastic about 1/8 inch thick. I epoxied it back together at the snap and it held like new.
Yep, I've used the same stuff. Amazing product for sure.

Beentown

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Sunbury, OH
I have made a lot of fiberglass items from my days if doing show cars and audio systems but not much repair.

I would just use some epoxy on that as it seems to be a clear break on a non-bearing surface.

Use a body filler to fill any gaps, sand, prime and paint.

Redhunter1012

Supporting Member
Same stuff I used a couple years ago when the Old lady hit a deer with the Jeep liberty. The outside bumper cover was cracked about 2 foot long and hanging there. And the plastic piece underneath as well. The estimate was $1700 to fix all of it new. I think I had less than $10 in that plastic weld and $40 for a new light. It's held up great

Buckmaster

Portage
I've done plenty of fiberglass repairs over the years.

I'd fiberglass the underside with strained mesh and for the topside a skim of Duraglass, sand, primer, then paint. All can be found at your local Napa.

Ohiosam

*Supporting Member*
Mahoning Co.
So I got the epoxy for fiberglass and we epoxied the pieces together.

Then used the fiberglass on the back. We imbedded some 9 gauge wire in the fiberglass as reinforcement.