Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

Mineral Plots

Hoytman62

I have been hearing and reading about mineral plots. What are you take on them? Any experience using them? Construction?

Thanks!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I am thinking maybe he just meant mineral sites.

I'd agree.

There are a ton of mineral/seed companies out there....Some have good products, some have good packaging. Meaning there are so many mineral products where you are paying for their marketing not their products. A lot of mineral products are loaded with high salt content or have out of line micro nutrients/trace minerals.., just be aware of what you are buying. I believe by law all seed/mineral products are forced to have a tag/label with tested/verify percentages. You can get familiar with ag tags fairly easy. I would also recommend reading about nutritional needs of whitetails or consulting a biologist or maybe even someone who raises deer if you plan to mix your own. A whitetails mineral deficiency or needs will vary from region to region, talking with someone local may be a big help.

With all that said on all our private piece we have 2 mineral sites per 100 acres. We use 2 different products depending on the parcel, deer, and time of year. Fat Rax by Invite Food Plots and Maximizer by Real World Wildlife Products.

Don Higgins, one of the finest gentlemen in the industry is cofounder of RWWP, he's a great guy who is very honest. They have a different approach to the industry and offer transparent marketing. I would recommend anyone to take a serious look at what they have. I will say, we mix beans or corn in with Maximizer to get the sites started after a week our deer hit the sites regularly. We start these sites with 40lbs of mineral and 40lbs of beans or corn and then freshen them up every 30 days. Product has a great mineral profile!

Fat Rax is a good product as well. It has a higher salt content which seems to hold more attracting power over Maximizer, which we utilize in more of an attractant style near water. We start these sites in the same fashion and freshen them up every 30 days as well. Our deer destroy most of our Fat Rax sites.

Hope my 2 cents helped!

at1010

*Supporting Member*
I'd agree.

There are a ton of mineral/seed companies out there....Some have good products, some have good packaging. Meaning there are so many mineral products where you are paying for their marketing not their products. A lot of mineral products are loaded with high salt content or have out of line micro nutrients/trace minerals.., just be aware of what you are buying. I believe by law all seed/mineral products are forced to have a tag/label with tested/verify percentages. You can get familiar with ag tags fairly easy. I would also recommend reading about nutritional needs of whitetails or consulting a biologist or maybe even someone who raises deer if you plan to mix your own. A whitetails mineral deficiency or needs will vary from region to region, talking with someone local may be a big help.

With all that said on all our private piece we have 2 mineral sites per 100 acres. We use 2 different products depending on the parcel, deer, and time of year. Fat Rax by Invite Food Plots and Maximizer by Real World Wildlife Products.

Don Higgins, one of the finest gentlemen in the industry is cofounder of RWWP, he's a great guy who is very honest. They have a different approach to the industry and offer transparent marketing. I would recommend anyone to take a serious look at what they have. I will say, we mix beans or corn in with Maximizer to get the sites started after a week our deer hit the sites regularly. We start these sites with 40lbs of mineral and 40lbs of beans or corn and then freshen them up every 30 days. Product has a great mineral profile!

Fat Rax is a good product as well. It has a higher salt content which seems to hold more attracting power over Maximizer, which we utilize in more of an attractant style near water. We start these sites in the same fashion and freshen them up every 30 days as well. Our deer destroy most of our Fat Rax sites.

Hope my 2 cents helped!

I don't know Don personally but from all communication I have seen from him on QDMA he seems like a stand up guy. I also noticed that mineral he is making is no joke, seems to not skimp on anything. I haven't bought it yet but I was impressed.