Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

Jesse's 2016 Hunting Adventures

bowhunter1023

Owner/Operator
Staff member
Appalachia
The first moves of the season were made yesterday as I pulled a set, moved two and started on the food plot at K's Spot. I took pics of the stands, but when you are hanging stands in the woods of hill country, all the pics look the same! I shifted both of my sets on our N ridge to account for a change in travel I've noticed in the past few seasons. I did some hinge cutting and it's thickened up. As a result, deer are browsing on the green brier and using it to bed. It's pulled deer further south on the ridge, so both moves take advantage of some topographical funnels in connection with use of the ridge to check does. Looking forward to see how they produce this year. I haven't spent much time in either spot over the years, so it'll be refreshing to sit there!

We cleared brush on the small clover plot I'm planting as part of the K's Spot project. I also got the trail opened back up leading to it and sprayed for weeds. I'm considering North American Whitetail Institute Imperial Clover or a blend from Merit Seed that performs well in creek bottoms. Either way, this should be one of the best plots I've had. I'll get some pics up when we return with weedeaters, leaf blowers and the torch!

at1010

*Supporting Member*
heck ya buddy! I been doing the same thing and it feels great to hand sets in April!

bowhunter1023

Owner/Operator
Staff member
Appalachia
Dad sent me this a few minutes ago. It was sitting in the back hay field on the farm. Had one fly over my house on Saturday. Been a great week for birds!

uploadfromtaptalk1461367752291.jpg

Dustinb80

#FACKCANCER
Supporting Member
S.W. Ohio
Chad and I are headed out tomorrow. FINALLY found the dicalcium phosphate for the minerals so we are going to throw that out, some corn, and cameras for this new property, see what we can see. Also taking the atvs out so we aren't complete rookies at the bow shoot.

Bigslam51

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Stark County
Chad and I are headed out tomorrow. FINALLY found the dicalcium phosphate for the minerals so we are going to throw that out, some corn, and cameras for this new property, see what we can see. Also taking the atvs out so we aren't complete rookies at the bow shoot.
Save your money and don't toss any corn out yet, you'll get plenty of pics from the minerals.

bowhunter1023

Owner/Operator
Staff member
Appalachia
We spent time putting out 4 cameras yesterday at the farm. One is over the mineral seep, another in my favorite inventory/bait spot, one over a creek crossing and another positioned near the planned food plot at K's Spot. They're are positioned such that I get a good feel for what's on our 80 acres, but they are easy to get to. Judging by the sign we saw, our local herd is doing much better. This may be the year to kill a doe out there!

bowhunter1023

Owner/Operator
Staff member
Appalachia
Adding these from yesterday. This is the trial leading to the mineral seep and the seep itself. I added another trace mineral block. The last one literally "melted" in a month's time.

And of course, my best buddy was along for the ride!

bowhunter1023

Owner/Operator
Staff member
Appalachia
We went out and checked cams on Sunday. I had a bobcat, coyote, very new fawn, several does and one decent buck on cam. The natural lick is getting hammered and all cams are still deployed. We will go back this weekend with some refreshments in hope of really getting some better pics. Our farm has corn planted on it this year and is surrounded by corn. I haven't checked on the oaks, but I'd imagine it should be a solid acorn year. If it is, I'm in for a decent year of hunting on our north ridge. I'm finally in good enough shaped to make the mile and 300' elevation round trip!!!

Dustinb80

#FACKCANCER
Supporting Member
S.W. Ohio
Sounds good Jesse. I got 10K pictures on my camera that's over the mineral site. They love it. Thanks for the recipe

angelzd28

Sounds good Jesse. I got 10K pictures on my camera that's over the mineral site. They love it. Thanks for the recipe

Good stuff, This also will be the first year I have employed that mix. Like you said, I already have 10x more pics then this time last year. Cant wait to check the cameras throughout the summer! The one thing I did different was add a 1/3 of lucky buck mineral to every site just for that sweet apple smell to bring them in. No scientific backing for doing this, but just a gut feeling on trying something new.

Dustinb80

#FACKCANCER
Supporting Member
S.W. Ohio
Good stuff, This also will be the first year I have employed that mix. Like you said, I already have 10x more pics then this time last year. Cant wait to check the cameras throughout the summer! The one thing I did different was add a 1/3 of lucky buck mineral to every site just for that sweet apple smell to bring them in. No scientific backing for doing this, but just a gut feeling on trying something new.

That's what I had put down first. Then I came back in about a month and put down Jesse's mix.

bowhunter1023

Owner/Operator
Staff member
Appalachia
Like a dumbass, I took on coaching a 17U summer league baseball team and it's cramped my style with deer. Thankfully, we are done next week, I get to enjoy the TOO shoot, then a week at the beach, then FINALLY things can kick off for deer. No more baseball. Ever. lmao

Tonight I finished my bow. This was the first time I took one apart, and put it back together, then did the tuning myself. Very happy with the results and never could have done it without Milo. He's a hell of a teacher.

uploadfromtaptalk1468454590998.jpg