Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

Fruit Tree Protection

Spencie

Constitution Ohio
Monday night the temps are expected to drop to about 26* here. I have pear trees in full bloom. Anyone have any suggestions on how to save them from freezing? I found a chart that says at 29* about 10% of blooms will be lost and at 26-27* 90% will be lost. Can simple covering save them or does that just protect them from frost?

Jackalope

Dignitary Member
Staff member
This old lady I pick apples off of had an orchard he husband used to run as a cider orchard. She said he would go out before sunrise and spray them down with a water hose if it frosted. But you have to do it well before sunrise. Sounded crazy to me. But who am I to argue with a woman whose worked an orchard longer than I've been alive. I would still research beforehand it if I were you though. Jus an idea.

Spencie

Constitution Ohio
This old lady I pick apples off of had an orchard he husband used to run as a cider orchard. She said he would go out before sunrise and spray them down with a water hose if it frosted. But you have to do it well before sunrise. Sounded crazy to me. But who am I to argue with a woman whose worked an orchard longer than I've been alive. I would still research beforehand it if I were you though. Jus an idea.

I have heard of that but it's going to be windy and cloudy so frost is not the problem...just the sheer cold temps. Maybe I should burn a brush pile beside it