Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

Coop design

Blan37

SW Ohio
01313_edGiSDwY5nS_600x450.jpg

Anyone have any experience with this type of coop? looks like a pretty cool design. Any disadvantages to something like this?

I don't have experience with chicken coops / chickens but want to get into it here in the future and am just looking for something simple to make and maintain.

bowhunter1023

Owner/Operator
Staff member
Appalachia
I do not. I budgeted X amount, then considered my options from there. I elected to build a 6x8 shed essentially. For the price of a prefab house big enough for 12 birds, I was money ahead to build something much nicer and stronger. That way it functions how I'd like and I got the satisfaction of building. As for general design, I like what you posted as its fairly mobile. I barely have flat ground, so I went with a permanent fixture. This design is low key, light and would have its benefits. All depends on how many birds you want and why in my opinion.

Carpn

*Supporting Member*
Wooster
I'm lucky , I have a nice old timey coup there when we moved in . The previous owners left us 6 which slowly got picked off throughout fall and late winter . Damn red tail hawks got em. I am getting a doz layers here soon tho . Getting Barred rocks and Jersey Giants I think

Blan37

SW Ohio
Can you shoot hawks if they are killing livestock? Dang things are everywhere now. I know they're protected but sheez - when is enough enough?

bowhunter1023

Owner/Operator
Staff member
Appalachia
We have a family heirloom which is a 110+ year old single shot .22 rifle. My great-grandfather shot a "chicken hawk" out of the air with it when he was 6. It's a legendary family tail and was witnessed by his parents, so we know it's true. I had to run a hawk off today. There's not shortage of hawks now and if they mess with my food, well...

Carpn

*Supporting Member*
Wooster
Hawks are protected ...No way I'd ever shoot one . That's all ya gotta remember to say .

I've got a weird feeling this next flock is gonna be a little safer tho

Carpn

*Supporting Member*
Wooster
Only reason I'm looking at the jersey giants is they get Big ...like 10-11# for hens. Hopefully deter some predation . They aren't as prolific at laying as some others ...but I'm curious to see how they do