Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

No peep

nathan.luthman

Supporting Member
I was thinking today of taking the peep sight out of my bow... just wondering if anyone else has done this and some of your guys thoughts.... my bow is a 13 bear legion

jagermeister

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Ohio
You can shoot without a peep sight. But I think it just opens you up to inconsistencies in your form and therefore accuracy. Only one way to find out though! Try it and see how it goes. This is the time of year to be tinkering if you're going to tinker.

I can think of one year doing this because I was frustrated with not being able to see through my peep on a couple evening hunts with decent daylight left. That was back in the day, the peep opening was pretty small, I was using a tab for drawing the bow and the peep had no tubing so getting it to align properly 100% of the time was difficult at times. That year without the peep I missed 3 deer, one deer I missed 3 times and hit 2 trees. That peep is the one thing that can remind you to keep things lined up so you aren't shooting left, right high and low when you fail to get that anchor point 100% correct. #nevergowithoutapeep LOL!

bowhunter1023

Owner/Operator
Staff member
Appalachia
Think of shooting a bow like drawing a straight line. It's much easier to draw a straight line if there are several points of contact. This is drawing/drafting 101. Well the same applies to connecting Point A (your nock/nocking point) to Point B (the target). The more points of consistent reference you can have along that straight line, the more accurate you are going to be. By removing your peep, you are removing a reference point that is part of drawing (shooting) that straight line. It'll make things different, but will most likely do so at the expense of accuracy.

finelyshedded

You know what!!!
Supporting Member
SW Ohio
The peep is the most critical accessory of my bow. Make peep hole bigger or buy a peep with larger hole before removing it is my advice. Like Jesse and others have said, it's one of the key anchoring points that helps align everything up for you.

hickslawns

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Ohio
I have a Peep Sight Eliminator you can try. (Or buy cheap.) I thought I could use it and I would be able to shoot with both eyes open. I can't. I am right handed but left eye dominant. I will be closing one eye unless I switch to a left handed bow. I will never use this again because it gained me nothing.

nathan.luthman

Supporting Member
Well i took my peep out tonday after work and shot 100 shots from 20-30 yds... my groups opened up about 3 inches. So i spent the rest of my shooting session just focusing on my form. I ended up shooting about the same as i normally do but i had a larger peep put in to try that too... while i was in the now shop i was browsing through the inventory and got hooked on a mission blaze... we shall see what the wifey says about that

jagermeister

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Ohio
Well i took my peep out tonday after work and shot 100 shots from 20-30 yds... my groups opened up about 3 inches. So i spent the rest of my shooting session just focusing on my form. I ended up shooting about the same as i normally do but i had a larger peep put in to try that too... while i was in the now shop i was browsing through the inventory and got hooked on a mission blaze... we shall see what the wifey says about that
Bahahaa... Well done.