Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

Eagle Bean Guys

at1010

*Supporting Member*
I know a lot of you love the Eagle Beans

My question
How was pod production? I am hearing they don't produce great pods? That is a bummer if that is true, I thought they produced great pods from some reviews so I feel confused.

Bigslam51

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Stark County
I think that's all Jim plants, and from what I've seen on grant Wood's videos his turn out pretty good. I'll be trying a mix this year that has eagle beans in it.

at1010

*Supporting Member*
I think that's all Jim plants, and from what I've seen on grant Wood's videos his turn out pretty good. I'll be trying a mix this year that has eagle beans in it.

that is how I felt. i think that Real World seed company might just be doing a great job of promoting their beans vs. Eagles. Grant Woods videos seems to always have a ton of pods for late season hunting! Great point!

jagermeister

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Ohio
The pods are just fine. Are they as good as the pods of traditional ag beans?... Well, I don't know... But I don't think the deer can tell the difference. They sure don't have any problem eating them.

at1010

*Supporting Member*
The pods are just fine. Are they as good as the pods of traditional ag beans?... Well, I don't know... But I don't think the deer can tell the difference. They sure don't have any problem eating them.

that is what I was thinking! I was just surprised at how much negative Ive heard about the pod production. I am thinking I am going to have no late season forage! I hope I am wrong and have plenty of draw!

Bigslam51

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Stark County
that is what I was thinking! I was just surprised at how much negative Ive heard about the pod production. I am thinking I am going to have no late season forage! I hope I am wrong and have plenty of draw!
How big of a plot are you planting?

Milo

Tatonka guide.
Don't get hung up on pods. They will be fine for what you need. Pods and beans aren't that important until very late in the season. The deer aren't really eating the beans early but when they fall to the ground and the acorns are gone they go after them. It's the planty stems and leaves they are going after

at1010

*Supporting Member*
Don't get hung up on pods. They will be fine for what you need. Pods and beans aren't that important until very late in the season. The deer aren't really eating the beans early but when they fall to the ground and the acorns are gone they go after them. It's the planty stems and leaves they are going after

chad I am doing about 4 acres worth, maybe a bit less.

Milo- I fully agree but that late season food source is nice to have around, if the going gets tough and the tough start going to bean pods hahaha!

jagermeister

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Ohio
You won't need to fence them if you're planting four acres. You'll be fine.

What I've seen in the biggest difference between Eagle and ag beans is the browse tolerance. The ag bean plants that get hammered early on don't amount to shit and produce very few pods. The Eagle beans withstand browsing extremely well and as a result produce more food tonnage, both in leaves and pods. You definitely want good pods for the late season IMO. You may or may not be hunting that late in the season, but there's no question you're going to draw in a lot of deer to your area. Shed hunting should be worthwhile. Lol

at1010

*Supporting Member*
You won't need to fence them if you're planting four acres. You'll be fine.

What I've seen in the biggest difference between Eagle and ag beans is the browse tolerance. The ag bean plants that get hammered early on don't amount to shit and produce very few pods. The Eagle beans withstand browsing extremely well and as a result produce more food tonnage, both in leaves and pods. You definitely want good pods for the late season IMO. You may or may not be hunting that late in the season, but there's no question you're going to draw in a lot of deer to your area. Shed hunting should be worthwhile. Lol

exactly my thought process!

motorbreaker

*Supporting Member I*
North of Toledo
We planted 2.5 acres of ag beans last year. They were not over browsed in the summer and the bean pods lasted well into December. We planted 2.5 acres of ag beans again this year but mixed in a bag of forage beans.