Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

Compact tractor recommendations

moundhill

Supporting Member
Hebbardsville..
So long story short, I'm in the process of trying to buy 40 acres and my dream house. If this all happens and goes through, my 1st purchase will need to be a tractor. I was wondering if you guys had any input or recommendations on smaller 4wd tractors. I'll definitly need a blade and a finish mower to go with it. I've been looking on Craigslist, but I don't know enough about em to know what to look for specifically. I do have a budget, so no brand new John deeres or Kubotas lol. What do you fellers think?

Buckmaster

Portage
I love my Kubota L3400DT 4x4. I bought it off the internet sight unseen for $13.8K with 47 hours on it.
5 years later I'm pushing 200 hours.

I also have a JD but like orange better.

moundhill

Supporting Member
Hebbardsville..
I'll also add, I'm definitly looking for used. So far I've seen some fairly priced Kubotas and kiotis on Craigslist, and I know they're really dependable. What attachments do you have Buck?

at1010

*Supporting Member*
Hey buddy,

Kubota is what I would recommend. We have a Kubota L3800 and I love it.

I am looking to buy a smaller Kubota 20hp tractor with finis mower under it and still run a tiller behind it and all. My best friend had a JD and he loved it as well. I think most of those are great deals. I am defiantly biased to Kubota as thats what i have owned, and it runs great!

Big Weff

Athens
Right here buddy haha uploadfromtaptalk1459091134259.jpg

hickslawns

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Ohio
I like my Kubota. I have ran several and they have all been nice. Previously owned a Kioti. It was an earlier model. It did what we needed it to do. We probably gave it more of a test than you will in 10-20yrs in the 5-8yrs we owned it. It did pretty well. I did have some repairs, but I believe it was a result of one of my guys doing what he shouldn't have done.

What HP you looking at? Do you need a front end loader? What do you want to do with it besides finish mow?

Grader blades/box blades can be found cheap enough. Old bush hogs can be found reasonable but check them over well. Tillers and finish mowers can be pricey. Sometimes you can find a package deal where a guy is selling with all attachments. Cost a little more but much better than buying them all individually. Good luck on the potential home purchase. Have fun shopping for a tractor.

jagermeister

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Ohio
For the drive. It's a really steep gravel driveway and I'll need to blade it in the winter. Also for mowing the steep banks.
Ahh, I see. A 2wd will do a lot more than people realize but you know the property better than us that's for sure. 4wd sure would be nice. Just sucks that it'll likely cost you more.

moundhill

Supporting Member
Hebbardsville..
Ahh, I see. A 2wd will do a lot more than people realize but you know the property better than us that's for sure. 4wd sure would be nice. Just sucks that it'll likely cost you more.
If it wasn't for the steep banks and driveway I would go with a little 2wd all day long. Unfortunately I'll have to spend more, but it will hopefully be worth it. I've been looking into the older Kubotas quite a bit.