Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

Who's been out scouting

Jackalope

Dignitary Member
Staff member
We usually don't start listening until two weeks before as birds can still be moving to their spots. I have been driving by our typical locations morning and evening and saw a flock with a strutter this morning. They show up in this location every year and typically we'll have that bird killed opening morning, rarely do we need a second morning to get it done.

Alex and I will start scouting not this weekend but next. The first week we hop around to all of our different spots and listen for birds. Then we will decide on an order in which to kill them. The week before season we usually spend each morning listening at different spots to locate their roosts. The morning before opening day we will spend listening to bird number one.

Since our birds are so sporadic and isolated we have to scout 90% and hunt 10%. Plan it out like a military strike op. But we typically account for 20% of the birds killed in the whole county so we must be doing something right. Lol.

matthew

Wayne County
Ya I now what you mean. We hunt public land (Woodbury ) in Coshocton. We do a tally of the birds just by listening because we hunt the 3rd week of season , most birds are call shy by then , so some morning's I won't even hear birds the 3rd week but I know they are there ,they all won't get shot . I think it was 4 years ago 4 of us hunted the 3rd week and got 5 long beards not bad for public land ...every body swore we were hunting private. We never done that good since lol but that's hunting. I believe it had all to do will listening pre-season and knowing where they were before they shut up or hen up .

rsmith

Haha scout them from the window at my house. My 1.5 acre plot of clover and grasses are about 200 yards from the house. Got hens, toms, and jakes back there every day all times of the day.

jagermeister

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Ohio
I'm watching a few flocks but it's too early to get serious. They still haven't finished their "migrations" to spring territories yet around here.

Boarhead

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Took these pics this morning,they are strutting away.

Attachments

• IMG_1899-1.jpg
    IMG_1899-1.jpg
    158 KB · Views: 107
  • IMG_1893-1.jpg
    IMG_1893-1.jpg
    252.9 KB · Views: 145
  • IMG_1895-1.jpg
    IMG_1895-1.jpg
    143.9 KB · Views: 119
  • IMG_1891-1.jpg
    IMG_1891-1.jpg
    128.3 KB · Views: 142
  • IMG_1890-1.jpg
    IMG_1890-1.jpg
    130.8 KB · Views: 137

bowhunter1023

Owner/Operator
Staff member
Appalachia
I could probably kill either of these since I see them every day around 11...

[video=youtube;6v7OQaCcqFE]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6v7OQaCcqFE&feature=youtu.be[/video]