Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

Tanerite

Bigslam51

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Stark County
What a Dumbass. That's one of those guys that has an AR just to say he has one and doesn't know the first thing about safely handling a firearm, let alone tannerite.

5Cent

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
North Central Ohio
Ouch!

Two guys up here in Huron are potentially going to be charged with felonies after denoting a decent amount about 2wks ago. Couple local cities heard it and quite a few calls came in. I had no idea it was illegal to set it off.

Bigslam51

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Stark County
Ouch!

Two guys up here in Huron are potentially going to be charged with felonies after denoting a decent amount about 2wks ago. Couple local cities heard it and quite a few calls came in. I had no idea it was illegal to set it off.
I don't think it is illegal to set it off. Probably illegal to do it inside city limits.

nathan.luthman

Supporting Member
My understanding is that it is legal to set off unless it is inside of something like a car or washing machine....

CJD3

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
NE Ohio
That story gave me a chill Sam. Honestly.

Having said that, I can say I have played with it and it is "fun" ...
(ok. It really is "a blast .")

But even a "normally safe" gun enthusiast male shooter may temporally loose his mind after shooting a couple of these charges. The ignition its self will vaporize nearly all of the container. The boom is deeper sounding than most any guns make. Its loud and different.

Now, by this point, 99.7% of the guys shooting tanerite targets "as suggested my manufacture", "as intended" come to their senses and recognize this is something a little scary and commands the same level of respect and safe handling as a gun or anything else that goes "bang" from gun powder. You would not want to be to close when it goes off! That goes for Fireworks too. ( and I do love my fireworks...lol)

This is a horrific example in poor judgement. But... If you or I have land enough acres to safely shoot these off but the "booms" are causing complaints from surrounding land owners within earshot, well I feel that's just to damn bad...

I get sick of people telling me what I cant do on my own land.

5Cent

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
North Central Ohio
Yep, wife started telling me about it and I started laughing saying there was nothing to charge against. Never knew it was treated like a bomb. Got a few lbs at my disposal, gonna have to be BFE to use it apparently.

"J"

Git Off My Lawn
Supporting Member
North Carolina
Don't be like the guy in the Akron area who set it off with in hearing distance of a school..... Yeah, lockdown and an investigation.....

5Cent

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
North Central Ohio
Good ol media lol!

I see this as no different than what Bader did at Summit Raceway park. I would have bet my life that a missle/bomb was dropped on Norwalk last fall. The track did not tell anyone and sent up a huge firework before dawn making an "alien crash" scene on the track.. I was getting strapped into the treestand and saw a blinding bright light and a HUGE boom. I immediately reached out to a few other guys who i figured would be in the woods and the farthest report was down by willard where my BIL saw the light, but no sound. They didnt even let the locals or LEOs know it was going to happen. I see this as no different as long as they were not harming anyone.

antiqucycle

East Ohio
I have heard its illegal to use in Ohio unless you have a blasting license that you would need in strip mining or blasting sandstone for building panels or road construction like along Route 7 on the Ohio River.

I know you would get "kicked out" of the gun club i belong to.