Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

08 EZGO TXT build

5Cent

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
North Central Ohio
Not sure where this will end up with time but I wanted to put it somewhere where I can keep it all together and hopefully shed some light on carts that people can reference in the future.

Brought this cart home Monday 3/21/16.

Specs:
2008 EZ-GO TXT electric 36v
Privately purchased from a guy that flips/builds carts.
Cart is straight off the golf course, season ending 2016.
Batteries = 2012 Rural King 6v, 200ah each.
Precision Drive System (PDS)

First thing I did was power wash it head to toe to get all the grass and dirt caked into the nooks and crannies out. Before doing so i switched the controller switch to Tow/Maint. to isolate the controller from power.

image.jpg

Next was to investigate a small rotational sound and wobble from the RR. I was suspecting an axle bearing but after removing wheels it was obvious it was coming from the RR drum brake assembly. Upon disassembly I am hoping the slight wobble was identified also. When tearing down the RR, the axle castle nut was loose. The cotter pin had done its job keeping it in place for who knows how long. Both side shoes and drums looked good. Took some 220 sandpaper to each drum to remove a little surface rust on the braking contact area. A good cleaning with brake cleaner and some grease and they were reassembled. I put both sides together and noticed I left off the washer behind the axle nut on one side. Upon disassembly to put the washer on, I had to use heat after stripping the 1" nut and busting my knuckles. Torch and pipe wrench to the rescue...

image.jpg
image.jpg

Next I decided to drop the rear diff cover to change fluid and check out gear condition. My heart sank when I removed the drain plug as zero fluid came out. Upon further research, there is only 10ozs of fluid in the rear and the angle the punpkin sits keeps it in the front. Even though the plug is on the bottom, it is actually a check/drain/refill hole. My fears went away when i dropped the pan and oil came out. Good cleaning inside the gears with brake fluid to remove any metal shavings and a visual inspection confirmed all was good with the teeth.

image.jpg

Cover is off, might as well paint it.

image.jpg

After cover dried i wiped it clean and installed the plug. With the hole on the bottom, filling this thing was not going to be easy. I decided to apply the rtv, put in the 10ozs and just bolt it up. That little bit of fluid only went 2/3 the way up so i was not concerned with it touching the sealant prior to it curing.

image.jpg

Last edited:

5Cent

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
North Central Ohio
Current plans:
Install stand alone 12v battery to run accessories.
Front lights (low watt draw (12w)-led)
Marine radio and speakers (only about 40-100w max) with 2 speakers. Just want radio/mp3 capability, no big bass or loudness.
Rear seat for 4 passengers.

The OEM slick tires will go eventually, but I want to decide to lift or not before deciding since they go hand and hand.

Overall these things are really simple and modifying to your liking looks straight forward and easy. Being electric, I will wait and see if I have any torque to sacrifice with a lift and bigger meats. Stock controller and speed chip will stay. It currently does 13mph but the limit at the campground is 5mph.

hickslawns

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Ohio
Adam has a new hot rod! I'll be following along. Congrats on your purchase. Those are fun!

5Cent

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
North Central Ohio
Wont be able to give it a whirl until later today, RTV is still setting up. Should be able to tell right away if bearing is OK or not.

6v's are made for deep cycling, 12v's die a quick life with that type of use. Thay is why most rv'ers switch to deep cycle 6v's for boon docking. 12v's are good cold cranking but amp/hour (ah) come in around 65-80 even with agm or mat style 12v's.

These little devils are from 2012, but fluid levels were good, solution was clear and plates were clean. I really would like them to make it through this summer then 2 will go on the camper and the rest kept for backups/general use. So far they have given no indication of a short life.

5Cent

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
North Central Ohio
Thanks JB, shaping up to be a good summer! You'll have to bring the lil lady up and kick your feet up around the fire sometime.

Rick, would love to lift it, just need to wait and see if it makes sense. Right now I have no reason to.

Phil, this will be a slow mover. The necessities will come first to be able to use it, then some day the fun will begin. Don't know if this one will be around by then, but you never know.

Put the cart to the limits today. Ran two rounds down the road and the bike path to complete 2.3 miles each loop. Made the trek 2x's by myself and a 3rd with the boys for a total of 7 miles @ 13mins each. An average of 9.2mph is ok with me given the terrain. At 36*F and half a battery gauge left, I'm feeling pretty good about its performance to date. Even better is it rolled along very smooth compared to bringing it home. New rear end fluid and adjusted brakes proved to be worth the effort. No wobble and the noise is gone. I will most likely do bearings next season unless they give issues prior.

Time to move forward with the lights and radio. Last will come the rear seat. As it goes right now, all 5 of us fit on the seat. Need to be able to run at night and have some tunes.

Last edited:

hickslawns

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Ohio
Might not be the best solution with young kids, but I have seen them with buddy stands mounted to the back for a rear seat. People sure get creative with them.

5Cent

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
North Central Ohio
Might not be the best solution with young kids, but I have seen them with buddy stands mounted to the back for a rear seat. People sure get creative with them.

LOL, definitely lots of options. Stopped by a shop on the way home yesterday and his price was 4x what I can get a rear seat and foot platform off the internet. It's always nice to help the local guy out, but come on man!

Got any extra stands to unload for cheap Phil lol?

hickslawns

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Ohio
How about $40 for a platform and seat only? We have an old display that one of the guys sold the legs to.

finelyshedded

You know what!!!
Supporting Member
SW Ohio
Pretty cool thread Adam! Be sure to wear your long black socks with your crocs or sandals and your plaid shorts and white white T while putting around the campground! Lol

5Cent

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
North Central Ohio
How about $40 for a platform and seat only? We have an old display that one of the guys sold the legs to.

Phil, send me the model number via PM if you don't mind. I would like to look at the dimensions and few pictures as I look at how easy it would be to modify for secure mounting. Much appreciated.

Pretty cool thread Adam! Be sure to wear your long black socks with your crocs or sandals and your plaid shorts and white white T while putting around the campground! Lol

LOL, fugg you Ric!

5Cent

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
North Central Ohio
Very cool addition brother.

LOL, no it's not, but thanks for the kind words. I would much rather have a quad or sled, but neither warrant the use this will get with the family. I guess in addition, I don't have to worry about medical bills as much from this either as the wife kindly pointed out.

5Cent

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
North Central Ohio
Led lights and wiring harness will arrive tomorrow. Two 12v Diehard batteries from 2006 are topped off with the trickle charger. Should be good enough to get things mocked up and trialed this weekend if time allows (bachelor party Saturday afternoon/night).

I pulled down one of my Big Game single ladder stands that has been up for the past 8yrs. The seat cords are shot and it took 2 rounds (bullets) to the tubing at some point and they are starting to rust pretty bad. I think I will be repurposing the steel tubing of the stand to make light mounts and potentially a brush guard for this cart. Just need to try and stay away from a Mad Max sytle per the wife.

5Cent

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
North Central Ohio
Lights arrived and first impression is positive. Full metal housings and glass lenses. Test on all 4 (2x 5", 2x 7") showed they work well and are plenty bright.

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

5Cent

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
North Central Ohio
I am trying to figure out the best spot and arrangement to mount them. A couple different thoughts but I think I will put the 2x 5" on the flat section of the front shield between the tires. These would be used most of the time and should be out of the way and if pointed correctly, out of peoples eyes.

The other 2x 7" versions are going to get mounted below the windshield on a light bar Im going to add. The old Big Game ladder stand is the perfect donor.

image.jpg

image.jpg

Each set would be on a seperate switch. Together I hope they can be used around the house where a truck cant get to.