Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

I need a vacation .....

Outdoorsfellar

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
The wife & I haven't gone on a vacation forever. I really hate going anywhere, but I owe her. Some of you guys were posting pics last year from your vacations on here which made me want to promise myself that we'd go somewhere this summer. I love seafood but hate congestion. Soooo, I'm thinking of somewhere along the beach in south North Carolina. I've been using google earth to get a feel & I'll stop by the AAA office as well. I told her if we go anywhere, she's gonna have to let me buy a new car without yelling at me....lol. Not taking mine, not taking the truck & certainly not taking her Bug. I hate being cramped. Anyway, has anyone been in this area I'm mentioning & have any input ?? We use to go to Va beach with the popup, but this will be a condo / hotel experience.

twireman

Kingston, OH
We have been to the Outer Banks the last two summers. Enjoyed it and it is not as crowded or commercialized as myrtle or the like. Really good seafood choices and also lots of fresh fish markets if you wanna prepare your own stuff a night or two.

"J"

Git Off My Lawn
Supporting Member
North Carolina
We've done Hilton head island numerous times and love it as its more of an older crowd and not the night life and rowdiness that you might find at Virginia beach.... Savannah is close by and Charleston is an hour north....

Buckmaster

Portage
I'll be in Avon, NC week 2 of June. Outer banks. The beach beer cooler needs emptied multiple times while wetting my line.

Qback5

We've done Hilton head island numerous times and love it as its more of an older crowd and not the night life and rowdiness that you might find at Virginia beach.... Savannah is close by and Charleston is an hour north....

+1 for Hilton Head

Fullbore

South Eastern Ohio
I love Myrtle Beach, but it can be crowded.
Here's some other suggestions. Destin Fla. and or Sanibel Island Fla.
I've been to both and seafood is awesome, plus the Gulf's beaches are awesome. Just sayin

Outdoorsfellar

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Thanks for the input ! Funny you mention Destin Ron. A co worker goes there & was telling me about it. Naturally, I goggled that as well. Those beaches there certainly are white. Time will tell, but keep the inputs coming !

hickslawns

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Ohio
We went to Charleston once. Beautiful place. Rich in history. Slower pace. Rather expensive.

Went to Outerbanks once. Beautiful. Still crowded, but not crowded like a VA Beach or Myrtle Beach. Slower pace. Very nice.

Been to Virginia Beach a couple times. In the off season it is a ghost town. During season is a mad house. I view Virginia Beach as the Dollar Tree of the beach towns. If you like watching the Clampetts going to town, try it out. You might even get to catch a Black Lives Matter rally while you are there.

I guess my point is: Any of the beaches along the coast are going to have a huge number of people. It will be hard to find a quiet little place for yourself unless you want to spend major coin and rent yourself an island somewhere secluded. Some of them (Outerbanks or Charleston) are quite so bad with tourist trap stuff (go-karts, mini golf, etc). Still lots of people though.

That is "my" experience with it. BUT. . . I am not a big beach guy. I would listen to Ric/Ron, J, or some of these other fart smellers that go to the area every year before you take my advice. I'm sure one of them can steer you into a slower paced/quieter beach setting than I can.

CJD3

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
NE Ohio
No advise other than just do it feller. Grab a few cigars and suck on the moment. I'm counten on ya.

Jackalope

Dignitary Member
Staff member
Hit the Caribbean in May. It's the low season and deals can be found on flights and hotels like crazy. Just stay away from the super touristy islands and find a little slice of heaven.

Bigslam51

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Stark County
Hit the Caribbean in May. It's the low season and deals can be found on flights and hotels like crazy. Just stay away from the super touristy islands and find a little slice of heaven.
X2 on the Caribbean! Although my trip there was on a cruise to the virgin islands, it was an awesome trip and the scenery was amazing.

"J"

Git Off My Lawn
Supporting Member
North Carolina
Looks like we're gonna aim for Hilton Head. Thanks for all the input. You're damn right I'm gonna have my cigars ! :)

Coligny plaza has a Resturant called Steamers, very good seafood there... They have a dish called frogmore stew (low country boil) which is really good and lots of beers on the menu....

finelyshedded

You know what!!!
Supporting Member
SW Ohio
Hilton Head is very nice! Been there only once back in 1981 and would love to go back sometime! Enjoy your much needed vacation Kevin!