Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

2 row planter?

at1010

*Supporting Member*
I have a 38hp Kubota Tractor
I want a 2 row planter for just doing a few acres of plots that I do every year. Sometimes corn, sometimes beans.

Couple questions
1. What is a good brand/price for a 2 row planter?
2. Do you typically till the fields, then run the planter over top?
3. Typically are they easy to calibrate the seed rate? Just have a guy follow you with ATV with seed and fill hoppers as they run out?

I am a noob with these so I have to ask!

thank you!

jagermeister

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Ohio
I'd suggest scouring auctions and whatnot for an old John Deere planter. I don't know the model numbers...there's a bunch. Some have fertilizer hoppers and some do not. My experience is with 4-row JD planters with fertilizer hoppers, hydraulic-lift. You're probably going to want to stick to a 3-pt setup for the kubota. Prices are going to be all over the place, just depends on the condition and age. I would think you could pick up a decent one for less than a few hundred bucks.

Till field first, then cultipack to even things out, then run the planter through.

Calibrating isn't a problem. The seed plates that go in the bottom of the seed hoppers are changed out based on the type of seed you're planting. Problem is most seeding info listed on bags of corn and beans these days is related to vacuum planters and whatnot, rather than specifying seed plates for older planters. So you just have to experiment with them a bit to find the plates that best fit your seed. If the seed doesn't fit you're going to have issues, either with seed getting destroyed or double- and even triple-drops... Wasting seed. Once you get it figured out though it's pretty reliable. I always drop the planter into the ground and run the tractor as slow as possible and have someone watch behind to ensure it's dropping seed and everything is functional. Nothing worse than pulling across a field three or four times only to realize you haven't planted a thing!

at1010

*Supporting Member*
Thank you bud! I figure I will purchase one of these in the next year or two.

Are parts hard to find for them?

example if the seed plates are correct with them, can you get new ones?

Buckmaster

Portage
Probably more simple and cost effective to buy a used PlotMaster. You can use it for other stuff as well.
My club just sold their used one to a member for $ 800 against a $ 500 ask price (bidding war) so they could buy a bigger one.

jagermeister

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Ohio
I don't know... I've never cared much for the plotmaster units. I'd rather have an implement I can bury with the 3-pt than rely on the weight of a tongue-drawn planter. Most of those plotmasters I've seen have not been very heavy.

Ohiosam

*Supporting Member*
Mahoning Co.
I don't know... I've never cared much for the plotmaster units. I'd rather have an implement I can bury with the 3-pt than rely on the weight of a tongue-drawn planter. Most of those plotmasters I've seen have not been very heavy.

3 points don't have down pressure, it too is just the weight of the implement.

Huckleberry Finn

Bought my first shotgun from money earned standing on the back of a JD planter going down rows, making sure the plates and seeds worked. We used to switch plates every couple rows of sweet corn to accomodate different varieties and maturity dates. Miss those warm spring nights.

Ohiosam

*Supporting Member*
Mahoning Co.
those are great!

What would you suggest for looking for at the weight of the machine that my 38hp kubota can pull?

I would think your tractor could handle either, looking at similar sized kubotas the lift capacity is over 2000lbs. You can look up the 3pt lift capacity here http://www.tractordata.com/farm-tractors/tractor-brands/kubota/kubota-tractors.html

There's multiple reasons the second planter is much better, just a matter if it's in your budget.

First it has the dry fertilizer hopper, that's real important with corn, not so important for beans.

The second is that it has disk openers, disks open furrows for both fertilizer and seed. It has no-till counters. You could no-till corn or beans with it. The first planter has a "shoe" for the seed furrow, not as good in soil that isn't prepared perfectly.

The other difference is the first is a plate planter, the second is a finger planter. Fingers are much better for corn than beans, but for food plots fingers will plant beans ok.

Last edited:

Ohiosam

*Supporting Member*
Mahoning Co.
Haven't used an Earthway but I've pushed a a Planet Junior untold miles. With a push planter the ground needs to be worked down real fine.

BTW You probably don't want to spend what a new Planet Jr costs

Last edited:

Bigslam51

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Stark County
Haven't used an Earthway but I've pushed a a Planet Junior untold miles. With a push planter the ground needs to be worked down real fine.

BTW You probably don't want to spend what a new Planet Jr costs
Ya I'm not spending $300-400 on one of those lol