Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

Homemade Mineral Mix and Site Prep

TimBuckToo

I swung down to the feed mil this morning to grab a few different minerals. Ended up going with Di-Cal 21, Trace Mineral Salt, Stock Salt and Dried Molasses.

I got two 50 pound bags of each and mixed up half the batch this afternoon.

Split up that 200 pounds once mixed into five 5 gallon buckets for ease of walking them back into the woods.

Me and the old man prepped 3 sites tonight on a couple different properties. Dug down a bit to break up the dirt and scattered 3/4 of the bucket in the small hole we dug, covered up the mix and scattered the remaining but on top.

After we finished up, the property owner noticed us walking back to the truck and hollered at us to hang on. He had a stack of paper in hand and said "The game warden was by the other day, he gave us a few permits, get to killen those deer guys"

Time to let that mineral marinate and get out in a week or so to put some meat in the freezer!

Bigslam51

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Stark County
How much did all the supplies end up costing? Aren't you afraid that you won't be seeing many deer this fall on account of the crop damage tags?

at1010

*Supporting Member*
mineral site looks good.

I am with Chad though, I hate damage tags, I love deer and I love hunting them but I enjoy letting them have the off time of the year to raise fawns, grow antlers, etc.Then next fall I am always hopeful there are MORE deer around, not less.

Bigslam51

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Stark County
mineral site looks good.

I am with Chad though, I hate damage tags, I love deer and I love hunting them but I enjoy letting them have the off time of the year to raise fawns, grow antlers, etc.Then next fall I am always hopeful there are MORE deer around, not less.
That's the main reason I don't hunt one of the farms I have permission on much anymore, crop damage tags ruined it.

TimBuckToo

It cost $128 for 8 total bags. The Di-Cal & Molasses cost the most.

I'm not worried one bit about their being fewer deer in this location. My father and I are the only people allowed on the permit to hunt this location.

This farm is in Northeast Ohio, and one problem we surely don't have is too few deer.. We take 3-5 does (or bucks that need to be removed from the gene pool) a year on the tags. It fills our freezer and keeps their numbers in check. The main reason we are given permission to hunt, is to cull the incredible numbers of deer at this location after all. It's not uncommon to see 10-14 deer at a time in a photo.

If I can remove a few a year to feed my family and give them the minerals they need to stay real healthy, it's a win win for me and them.

Bigslam51

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Stark County
I have that many deer in a photo quite often, they don't seem to starve though. Plenty of crops around for them to eat. I guess it just depends on location.

at1010

*Supporting Member*
yea I see a ton in my area as well but it just gets out of whack often.

Tim form your posts I am sure you don't take advantage of the tags but I am just not a fan of them. I had a guy in SE Ohio having them for a small pumpkin patch that he had. He was shooting 4 does a year in the summer, and then he'd shoot a few more in the fall. It didn't take long for everyone to notice the deer numbers decreased.

TimBuckToo

yea I see a ton in my area as well but it just gets out of whack often.

Tim form your posts I am sure you don't take advantage of the tags but I am just not a fan of them. I had a guy in SE Ohio having them for a small pumpkin patch that he had. He was shooting 4 does a year in the summer, and then he'd shoot a few more in the fall. It didn't take long for everyone to notice the deer numbers decreased.

We've been hunting this farm, certainly not a pumpkin patch, for over 6 years now. Every year the GW reissues permits because the number seems to continue to remain excessively large. I enjoy helping him out for many reasons, but mainly because my family and dogs eat well and he gets peace of mind that his farm isn't being over run.

We could decimate the population in one year if we wanted but that obviously isn't our goal. We would much prefer to eat well year after year and continue to hunt the deer we live to hunt.

Not all damage permit holders are created equal ;)

at1010

*Supporting Member*
We've been hunting this farm, certainly not a pumpkin patch, for over 6 years now. Every year the GW reissues permits because the number seems to continue to remain excessively large. I enjoy helping him out for many reasons, but mainly because my family and dogs eat well and he gets peace of mind that his farm isn't being over run.

We could decimate the population in one year if we wanted but that obviously isn't our goal. We would much prefer to eat well year after year and continue to hunt the deer we live to hunt.

Not all damage permit holders are created equal ;)

That is exactly my point! Seems you are in a very unique situation where there must be a lot of non hunting land surrounding that farm. I guess if it needs done, it needs done but damage permits in general can get out of hand quickly. I believe that is why Bigslam made the comment, and I agreed.

You got to keep the landowner happy though, and if thats what he wants, thats what he gets I suppose. I hope the mineral licks work great!

Bigslam51

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Stark County
Someday I'll try this mix, just can't get away with dropping $130 at once on minerals right now. Just got my turkey paid off lol

hickslawns

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Ohio
Sounds like a win win for the permits. I am not a fan. BUT. . . We don't see many deer around here. Sounds like you are in a unique situation. The minerals you have will do a great job.

at1010

*Supporting Member*
Sounds like a win win for the permits. I am not a fan. BUT. . . We don't see many deer around here. Sounds like you are in a unique situation. The minerals you have will do a great job.

agreed! I think I came across as a dickhead, didn't mean for it to come off that way!

TimBuckToo

Nah you didn't, I can get a bit defensive when I'm talking about what I love to do [emoji57]

Big slam, that 130 was for 2 of everything. Roughly half that for 200 pounds worth which can go a long ways. And the Mollasses was just for the hell of it really, not needed which could bring it down to about $45 which makes roughly 3.5 Five gallon buckets worth. With the molasses and thee three others it made 5 Five gallon buckets.

Just like Jesse's mix, definitely works. Reminds me that I should try to do that this year instead of just mineral salt. As for the damage permits go some farmers will demand you shoot deer on those permits as a basis for you getting permission to hunt there in the fall. The farmer where I used to hunt up here in Michigan would be pretty upset if you passed deer, so much so that he would find other hunters that would take your place.

Dustinb80

#FACKCANCER
Supporting Member
S.W. Ohio
Ive called all of them around, nothing. I think Rural King is going to order it for me. They have all of the other ingredients, one stop shopping is how I prefer it. Less assholes to deal with.

bowhunter1023

Owner/Operator
Staff member
Appalachia
It's not a "standard" ingredient, but one I've suggested as an additional attractant. IMO, it's not worth the money. With the spring green up and the increased ingestion of phosphorus, their bodies crave salt, so that's the real attraction. Not something sweet which is more likely to increase attraction when it's cold and they need carbs. If you want to attract deer to your new site, buy a $3 thing of liquid molasses from the grocery store and mix it with 25#s or corn and dump it on top of the mineral site. Much cheaper and serves the same purpose of initial attraction. Once they find the salty soil, they'll be back.