Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

trees

at1010

*Supporting Member*
I know you can order seedlings from WVU forestry division. Does Ohio have an online forestry system to order from?

at1010

*Supporting Member*
Does your local soil and water conservation office offer seedling sales? I know mine does.

chad that I do not know. Ill do some google search on it.

I am buying some white pine seedlings for a road screen. It'll take a few years but I figure I can get a couple nice rows for fairly cheap, excited to get them in the ground!

Milo

Tatonka guide.
My recommendation, but balled and burlap trees if you only have a few. Deer can be hard as heck on them until they get tall. We put in a few thousand at a time and offset browsing with food plots which helps and we didn't really lose that many.

Mike

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Up Nort
How about 50 white pine seedlings? Can I just lay brush around groups of tress to discourage browsing?

Milo

Tatonka guide.
How about 50 white pine seedlings? Can I just lay brush around groups of tress to discourage browsing?
It really depends. Right now you stand a good chance of that working but you don't want to shade them too bad or encourage bad branch development. It depends how big the trees really are. Most of the seedlings I see from these soil districts are so small it's pointless in my opinion.im to the point now I do t waste by time unless it's in a pot. Potted plants just do better and I have replanted enough to know how to not waste what little time I have.

Milo

Tatonka guide.
Mike, if I were you I'd even consider the Norway spruce. Good with water areas and clay ground, deer won't eat them and grow fast. Probably faster than white pines.

hickslawns

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Ohio
I just ordered from Hancock County. Allen/Auglaize counties already closed order dates. 50 arbor vitae 6-12" tall. I anticipate 5-10 make it to 3' and then I will dig and sell on a job. The pines I went with quantities of 10 for the 18" saplings. Ordered 10 white pine for a personal project, and 10 each Norway and Colorado Blue spruces. Those will likely go on jobs eventually. Probably when I'm 50 or 60 and they have been manicured annually for 10-20yrs. "But I sure got them cheap!" Haha. The time I put into them means the $1.60/tree is more like $150/tree that I can sell for $80.

swantucky

The Crew
Swanton, Ohio
Mike, if I were you I'd even consider the Norway spruce. Good with water areas and clay ground, deer won't eat them and grow fast. Probably faster than white pines.

The growth rates of my white pines are double to triple that of the norways. I don't have any trouble with deer browsing the white pines but the murder the arbovites. Funny how a couple hours north the deer browse preferances are different. I am going to pot and bury a bunch of whites this year and plant them in 2-3 years.

Mike, I have plenty of room here if you want to nursery some here. I have a ton of pots too, I have found if you don't pot them they are a bitch to dig and transplant.