Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

SD card problems

steveOh

Dayton Area
Went to check my cam today ( it was out for 2 months) and when I tried to download the pics I got a "card is locked". I checked the tab on the SD card and it is in the "unlocked" position. The tab seems to be OK, it stays in the unlocked position, so it is not broke. I tried a different card in the cam and it works.. So I assume that this card is trashed. What do you think? Chalk it up to another 'Murphy's Law" scenario???

xbowguy

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Licking Co. Ohio
I had that happen once flipped the lock on and off 2 or 3 times and the card started working. I marked it and replaced it soon as I got a new one.

Jackalope

Dignitary Member
Staff member
Also try cleaning the contacts on the card. Alcohol swab or a qtip with cleaner on it works well.

at1010

*Supporting Member*
Also try cleaning the contacts on the card. Alcohol swab or a qtip with cleaner on it works well.

I got a card sitting on my desk that had over 4g pictures on it. I never could get it to read, will this maybe work on that?

Jackalope

Dignitary Member
Staff member
Not really. It's solid state memory cells. Typically when a cell goes bad it's not recoverable.

@steveOh

Look into the manufacturers warranty. Surprisingly quite a few card manufacturers offer very good warranties, I think I remember reading a few offering limited lifetime warranties. I can't say how hard it is to make a claim or deal with those folks but it may be worth a shot especially if it was a large capacity card...

cotty16

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Watch the little plastic dividers between the contacts too. I have one card that, for the life of me, I couldn't figure out what was wrong with it. Same thing, kept saying it was locked. Ended up one the little plastic dividers (not sure what else to call them) was broken and sitting kind of crooked. Straightened it out and carefully inserted it and it worked.