Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

a gun that means a lot

at1010

*Supporting Member*
As I am sure you all have that one gun that means a lot to you. I thought this would be a great thread where we could all share a gun that means more to us than just a firearm.

Since I thought of this I figured I would start. This is my grandpas 300 savage. My grandfather is a WW2 vet, semi pro baseball player, coal miner, and GM auto worker. Needless to say I have always been very proud to call him my grandfather, talk about the All American Guy.

He used this firearm to kill a moose the day I was born. My grandma called him up in Canada to tell him that he had a grandson, he responded "great, I just killed my first moose". He used this gun to kill tons of bucks over the years back in the mountains of PA where he was born.

Although the gun might not seem special to some, it means more to me than I can even put a value too.

As a side note, I just shot this gun a couple weeks ago to see how it was firing. The thing still shoots dead nuts on out to 100 yards!

IMG_1452-2.JPG

"J"

Git Off My Lawn
Supporting Member
North Carolina
Al, a lot of us have a gun or two that were passed down too us from family members.... Thanks for starting this, it'll be interesting too see what's posted....

Nice rifle Albert. I would like to add a savage 1899 or 99 to my collection one of these days. Mine would be my Dad's 20 ga Remington 870. It is the first firearm I shot. There was a point in time my Dad was rewarding me with 20 ga shotshells. I have lost count of the squirrels, dove, and grouse I have taken with this old Wingmaster. There have been a few turkeys taken with it as well.Ted young (cob) said I should call it the squirrelmaster.

hickslawns

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Ohio
Outstanding thread idea Albert! Fantastic stories about that gun as well as Archer's 20g. You can't put a price on those types of guns. You guys have something truly special.

Buckmaster

Portage
Both my Grandfather's hunted although they only had one gun, a 12 gauge each.
I've never shot them, just oil them up once a year and back to the safe they go.
I wish those guns could talk because I'd like to hear the stories behind them.

1934 Winchester Model 12
1958 Ithaca Model 37 featherweight

Attachments

• Guns.JPG
    Guns.JPG
    147.9 KB · Views: 138

5Cent

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
North Central Ohio
1948 Winchester Model 74 .22 LR from my grandpa. He bought it brand new out of the Sears, Roebuck & Co. catalog. He passed away when I was 6yrs old in 1989.

df7579919b63e73fa01aed763a31eb24ce5c92fab8b31c311829cfe43633650f.jpg

2.jpg

at1010

*Supporting Member*
thank you all for reading my story and sharing guns.

5cent that gun just takes you back looking at it! Sorry to hear he passed but what a cool rifle to still have!

"J"

Git Off My Lawn
Supporting Member
North Carolina
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1456951814.682103.jpg

Here's my grandfathers Winchester model 12 in 16ga. It was made in 1936 according too what I found by the serial #, for some reason I initially thought it was from the mid 20's but that wasn't the case...

Wish this gun could tell the stories of past hunts.... I'll post up his deer rifle later...

Mao

Coshocton, OH
When I graduated high school my grandpa gave me his Winchester Model 12 12 gauge. I don't know much about it other than it has a leather stock cover with a shoe lace type draw to it. I am told it is kind of rare. Dunno for sure. Doesn't matter to me though. Killed my first buck and longbeard with it then retired it. I will pass it down to Layla someday. It is my most prized possession as it was given to me by my role model.

"J"

Git Off My Lawn
Supporting Member
North Carolina
When I graduated high school my grandpa gave me his Winchester Model 12 12 gauge. I don't know much about it other than it has a leather stock cover with a shoe lace type draw to it. I am told it is kind of rare. Dunno for sure. Doesn't matter to me though. Killed my first buck and longbeard with it then retired it. I will pass it down to Layla someday. It is my most prized possession as it was given to me by my role model.

Marcus, here's a link that you can look up he serial # too see what year it was made.....

http://www.mchenry-sc.org/Engineering/Model_12.htm

at1010

*Supporting Member*

that is what I am saying brother! I feel the same way! I wouldn't sell that gun for a new kidney if I needed it! hahaha!