Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

My 2015 Big Ten

TimBuckToo

The Spring of 2015 proved to be an incredibly exciting time for me at my favorite spot. I watched a handful of big bodied deer begin to form some very nice racks. I'm fortunate enough to hunt in a spot that usually has a couple nice bucks every year. In 2014 I spotted what appeared to be a younger 8 point with nice potential for the years to come. I had my eyes on a much more mature 8 point and didn't think much of anything else. I ended up not filling my Buck tag in 2014 but was okay with it. I was hopeful that the Monster 8 I was after would survive and the smaller 8's with potential would remain on the property and make it through the year.

Here's the younger 8 I spotted and was keeping an eye on for the next year.

Big 10 - 2014 #2.jpg

Big 10 - 2014 #1.jpg

Big 10 - 2014 #3.jpg

Fast forward back to Summer of 2015. I watched the younger 8 I spotted in 2014, begin to grow a very nice rack, much thicker than he was the year before. As the months continued on he continued to grow and grow and I had decided that I would put this buck on my 2015 hit list. As the Spring and Summer continued on I knew with the rate he was growing that he would likely be a nice 10 come Fall, and that he did.

Big 10 - 2015 #4.jpg

Big 10 - 2015 #3.jpg

I tried my best to stay the heck off the property and put as little pressure on the spot as possible before the season began, resisting the temptation to check the camera as frequently as I would have liked. As the days got closer to the opener, I eagerly waited for the bucks to shed their velvet, however, I was nervous that once that velvet came off, he would become a night owl as they seem to do. On September 11 he arrived at the food plot in full velvet and just an hour and some change later, he returned freshly rubbed.

Big 10 - 2015 #5.jpg

I decided to stay out of the woods after seeing him shed his velvet and return on the opener, September 26th. I knew from photos that he frequented the area in the afternoon usually so despite the urge to get out in the morning on opening day, I held off until 2 pm. I got in a little early to take my time, be as quiet as possible and get set up. I pulled the card and saw that he had been in the evening before.

I sat patiently and time began to fly. I saw a few small bucks about 60 yards north of me running a field edge and a couple does passed by at about 6 pm. I remember sitting there after the does had left with my bow in hand and my head down, just envisioning what it would look like as he approached... I heard movement a ways out in front and lifted my head to see his big body and rack come walking right in my direction. I remember telling myself, "Don't Even look at it!" as I tried to calm my heart rate. I took a couple deep breaths and watched as he passed by me at 21 yards. I let out a grunt to stop him and drove an arrow right into the money spot! He jumped and ran for the thicket to my left where I heard him crash moments later. I couldn't even believe what I had just done. I called my old man and while shaking like a leaf proudly told him I had got him and that I heard him go down.

I waited patiently for an hour as the guys made their way to me and we headed in to look for him in the dark. The blood was plenty and he was no more than 75 yards inside the thicket. This was the first time I had got my hands on the buck I had been after and thought, his rack looks even bigger in person!
We quickly caped him out and got him to the Taxidermist who said "Congrat's young man, you're my first of the season".

A short 2 months later and I got the call that he was ready to be picked up. Proud to say hes the first mount I've ever had done and I couldn't be happier!

IMG_0102.jpg

IMG_0104.jpg

Last edited:

at1010

*Supporting Member*
not sure how old you are, but that one will take a few years to top! That is a fantastic buck and you are a good writer. Welcome to the forum.

What part of Ohio did you kill this deer?

TimBuckToo

Thanks guys, I appreciate the kind words. He will certainly be a hard one to top.

not sure how old you are, but that one will take a few years to top! That is a fantastic buck and you are a good writer. Welcome to the forum.

What part of Ohio did you kill this deer?

I hunt all over Northeast Ohio, my buck this year was taken in Medina County.

at1010

*Supporting Member*
Thanks guys, I appreciate the kind words. He will certainly be a hard one to top.

I hunt all over Northeast Ohio, my buck this year was taken in Medina County.

Medina is a great county, I don't live to far from there bud! Great buck!