Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

Quitin' dipin'

RRJJ

Removed by Request.
I'm on day three. It sucks but I know it will get better. Cold turkey was the only way for me as trying to ween myself off just wasn't working. Today's been a challenging day but so far I've stayed strong in my commitment to quit. Still sucks, though.

Jackalope

Dignitary Member
Staff member
Dang man.. Good for you... Keep up the good work. I have cut back considerably but the mortician is gonna have to remove my last chew..

Curran

Supporting Member
Central Ohio
Good luck buddy. Make it a goal and just stick to it.

It does suck but eventually it gets better. Not all the time, but most of the time. I've been quitting for about 5 years now (my oldest is 5). But every few months I end up picking up a can and the cycle starts all over. So far, I'm off the dip since early November and going strong.

Mike

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Up Nort
Good luck. If you need something in your mouth (don't be sick guys), these are the best seeds ever developed.

Kaiser878

ohio
Good luck with that John. I'm back to chewing more than normal once again. It's a vicious circle. Same with smoking. Always makes you wish you'd never started!

Wait till you get in the blind out in missourri. You think you chew a lot in a day now, just wait. When you sit in a blind from dark to dark, your be surprised how much chew you g othrough! ha

Jackalope

Dignitary Member
Staff member
Good luck with that John. I'm back to chewing more than normal once again. It's a vicious circle. Same with smoking. Always makes you wish you'd never started!

My upswing to the cycle is hunting. When i hit the woods I'll be dipping. Hell one of my stand spots even comes with it's own spitter.

Beentown

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Sunbury, OH
John you can do it. I did. Dipped for 16 years and stopped a bit over a year ago. It does suck a bit at first. Most of the time I find it is out of boredom or stress that you want one. Give yourself a reward at the end for doing it. I told my wife I was going to quit and she said if I could go 6 months and promise to stay off it she would buy me a new gun. She came through. Think of it this way:

Can and a half a day ($6)x 30 days x 6 months = $1080

She bought me a $500 gun.

It is also nice to not mess with a spitter all the time. I generally swallowed after a few minutes but it is still a hassle. You don't realize how much of a hassle until you stop.

Beentown

RRJJ

Removed by Request.
The weird thing is I always chewed grizzly wintergreen, lately it started not tasting so good. One of the guys at work had mint flavor so I tried it and really took a liking to it which is actually making it harder to quit. I just keep thinking about my boys asking: "Daddy, when are you going to quit eating trouble?"(chew...it's a funny story why they call it that). And my dentist giving me hell for it, along with the nasty spitters, the acid burns in my mouth, etc. I know the urge to dip is temporary, and it comes and goes during the day - but I'll be happier if I quit today.

Diablo54

Outside
Mh has been dipping for 7 years now. Good thing he didnt get me started when we were lil. I like the idea of a reward if you quit till deer season or something.

Sent from my iPhone using TapaTalk

i switched smoking for dipping , went from one habit to the next , but my lungs feel better for it, i wish you luck and will be praying that you can keep up the good work , i lost track how long its been for smoking but i know its 6 months or over , you have your support group right here with us

rrr

And my dentist giving me hell for it

That's kinda funny, my dentist said my teeth look great! Was there on Thursday morning.

Chewed the pouches for awhile but I'm doing the long cut now. I enjoy it but limit it (somewhat), but especially hunting, gotta have one

RRJJ

Removed by Request.

That's kinda funny, my dentist said my teeth look great! Was there on Thursday morning.

Chewed the pouches for awhile but I'm doing the long cut now. I enjoy it but limit it (somewhat), but especially hunting, gotta have one

My dentist says my teeth are great too, in fact he says my teeth and gums could be in dental books as example of what a perfect set of teeth look like. :D It's the acid burns on the inside of my mouth that he gives me hell for - then he talks me into the $30 pre oral cancer screening. Lol. Bunch of shit.