Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

bow dry fire

at1010

*Supporting Member*
I had my mathews out tonight and was shooting a bit. I drew it back after shooting with my fingers and was just seeing if the timing was right on the cam, shouldn't have done it. I was almost letting it down and it dry fired.

I have never done this before, and Im just pissed at myself. I didn't see any cracks in limbs. I also shot two arrows after I did it and no obscure noises and bow was shooting fine.

So did I just get lucky?

Bigslam51

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Stark County
You must of. I did the same shit with my Mathews monster right after I got it, only I was at full draw. I got lucky also. Broke the strings that was all.

Jackalope

Dignitary Member
Staff member
Often what happens when someone draws a modern compound with their fingers they torque the string. Even the slightest twist of pressure will cause the string to jump the cam groove when letting down. The sting will roll off the cam and hit the axle yanking the string from your grip quite violently. People believe they dry fired it but odds are they decammed it. In your case since the string was still on that's not what happened though. Just another thing than can go wrong.

Milo

Tatonka guide.
Never ever draw a compound with your fingers if your not a finger shooter ..

at1010

*Supporting Member*
well Milo and I chatted, I will probably just bring it to a shop to get looked at to make sure.

I must have reached it with my other hand to try to catch the string haha my left hand fingers are swollen from the string hitting them, not sure how I pulled that off.

Milo

Tatonka guide.
image.jpegimage.jpeg
well Milo and I chatted, I will probably just bring it to a shop to get looked at to make sure.

I must have reached it with my other hand to try to catch the string haha my left hand fingers are swollen from the string hitting them, not sure how I pulled that off.

at1010

*Supporting Member*
I am actually sick to my stomach about doing it too, this is about the last fucking thing I needed right now. F ME!

at1010

*Supporting Member*
For reference, you can take a cotton ball and run it over the limbs to check for cracks. If it cracked, it'll snag the cotton ball.

yea I saw that online. I am just going to bring it to a bow shop ASAP, and let them look at it.

cooperve

coshocton
I was just getting back into archery. I had a very experienced archery friend coaching me since I never shot anything except a finger bow before. I was concentrating on his tips and forget to nock an arrow. I had perfect form and did everything he suggest but, the shot was very loud and no arrow hit the paper. What an idiot!

The limbs were OK but, there were several white hair line cracks in both cams.

I suggest you inspect the cams closely for speckled white hair line cracks.

at1010

*Supporting Member*
I was just getting back into archery. I had a very experienced archery friend coaching me since I never shot anything except a finger bow before. I was concentrating on his tips and forget to nock an arrow. I had perfect form and did everything he suggest but, the shot was very loud and no arrow hit the paper. What an idiot!

The limbs were OK but, there were several white hair line cracks in both cams.

I suggest you inspect the cams closely for speckled white hair line cracks.

yea Im going to bring the bow to have someone look at it. I think I might have got lucky because I didn't even fully dry fire it but i felt like a jackass!

My mind has been all over the place as of recently, and tonight was one of those nights where I just couldn't even wash a dish without making a fuggen mess.

Diablo54

Outside
I remmber when I was about 10 years old my dad got a new Matthews or something in the mail. He unboxed it and pulled it back. The string must have slipped off the cam. Went down his arm and tore a chunk of skin off his forearm from his elbow to wrist. Looked like a fish fillet.

"J"

Git Off My Lawn
Supporting Member
North Carolina
I have heard stories of people being decapitated from dry firing, is this possible or actually happened?

First I've ever heard of that.... I'd have my doubts about that.... Saw the aftermath of a guys bow come apart at a bow shoot once.... Heard it didn't see it.... Looked like someone ran a razor blade across his shirt..... One fine slit running 45 degrees across the chest with a wide welt too go with it....