Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

Newbie Question about field dressing, quartering & what to leave in the woods

Aztec

I'm thinking of processing myself to have all the extras for my dogs. If I field dress then quarter the deer in the woods, is it OK to leave the remainder of the carcass, head, spine, etc. in the woods? I called OHDNR and they said for public lands this is OK, so long as its in the woods & not on walking trails. Just making sure I'm on the right page here.

I'm doing this to avoid having to drag out a deer as I'll be hunting by myself 50-75% of the time.

loose_is_fast

McClure
Get a buddy to help you..... No one likes seeing deer carcass laying around. It's not like we are hunting miles and miles from our vehicles here in Ohio. JMHO

Bigslam51

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Stark County
Get a buddy to help you..... No one likes seeing deer carcass laying around. It's not like we are hunting miles and miles from our vehicles here in Ohio. JMHO
Depends on where he's hunting. If it is public land then most likely he will be a mile or 2 from his vehicle. If the DNR said it's OK, then your fine. Have you ever checked out the deer carts that you can use to haul a deer out?

Last edited:

Aztec

Depends on where he's hunting. If it is public land then most likely he will be a mile or 2 from his vehicle. If the DNR said it's OK, then your fine. Have you ever checked out the deer carts that you can use to haul a deer out?

Yeah, I'm still trying to balance being out there without a plan and having too much gear I don't need. First few times prob with a buddy, so I'll just have to get some experience under my belt. I don't want to be leaving body parts if it's poor ettiequte either. I've been out already and have seen dozens of shotgun shells laying about, which I know is illegal, littering, and downright trashy. Thanks for responses.

hickslawns

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Ohio
Yeah, I'm still trying to balance being out there without a plan and having too much gear I don't need. First few times prob with a buddy, so I'll just have to get some experience under my belt. I don't want to be leaving body parts if it's poor ettiequte either. I've been out already and have seen dozens of shotgun shells laying about, which I know is illegal, littering, and downright trashy. Thanks for responses.

If it is legal according to the DNR, then I would simply try to be discrete about it. Clearly, dropping a carcass alongside a parking lot or walking trail is not going to sit well with antihunters. As a hunter, I don't want to see it either. Good luck to you!

Jamie

Ohio
a deer cart is a wonderful thing to aid in getting deer to a vehicle. otherwise, exercise a little common sense. I mean, if you are 2 miles away from your vehicle in BFE Wayne National Forrest, it is not likely that another human being is going to see it, even if they are looking for it. If you are hunting in a small wildlife area near a big city where there are lots of other users of the land, then hide it or take it home. three times this year after the bonus gun weekend and ML season I had to step around and keep my dog off of fresh gut piles on the edge of parking spots in public hunting areas to go hunting. the guts were not just dumped , and I don't believe the deer died in these spots, so I have to wonder what sort of stupid, lazy fucktard would field dress a deer in such a place? poor etiquette at its worst.

antiqucycle

East Ohio
My experience is that coyotes will be on whats left of a carcass before the next dawn and turkey vultures. various hawks and crows will locate "the meal" the next day so all that remains is large bones.
Does everyone realize turkey vultures fly in circles to pickup the scent of carcasses? They have better noses than the best hound dogs.
As for dragging out. first buy a inexpensive drag rope with a shoulder strap. Next, get one of the plastic "sheets" that kids use in place of a snow sled. they roll up nice and can be laced up around the carcass.

Last tip, check some garage sales or house auctions and pickup a good old fashioned wheel barrow cheap. chain it to the bed of your truck.

bthompson1004

NWOhio!
My experience is that coyotes will be on whats left of a carcass before the next dawn and turkey vultures. various hawks and crows will locate "the meal" the next day so all that remains is large bones.
Does everyone realize turkey vultures fly in circles to pickup the scent of carcasses? They have better noses than the best hound dogs.
As for dragging out. first buy a inexpensive drag rope with a shoulder strap. Next, get one of the plastic "sheets" that kids use in place of a snow sled. they roll up nice and can be laced up around the carcass.

Last tip, check some garage sales or house auctions and pickup a good old fashioned wheel barrow cheap. chain it to the bed of your truck.

I bought a "dead sled" a few years back...its a rolled up plastic sheet, heavy duty, has slots for the 3 straps it comes with to help the sheet fully enclose around the deer...also came with a very heavy duty orange nylon dragging strap...slides real easy across dry ground, wet or the snow...and it keeps the deer from getting hung up on any brush...real nice to have if you have to drag over a downed tree across your path as well.

got if from sportsmansguide for like $24 awhile back. I should get it out for the kids to sled on today, since we finally got some snow and I haven't had a deer to drag out in 2 seasons now.

Bigcountry40

Personally I like to drag my deer a good solid mile or 2, it helps me sweat out the alcohol from the previous 3 days at deer camp.

CJD3

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
NE Ohio
If it is legal according to the DNR, then I would simply try to be discrete about it. Clearly, dropping a carcass alongside a parking lot or walking trail is not going to sit well with antihunters. As a hunter, I don't want to see it either. Good luck to you!

What he said.