Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

ATV Insurance and registration

Dustinb80

#FACKCANCER
Supporting Member
S.W. Ohio
So Ive got my ATV, now Im trying to get it insured. I was under the impression that I could just put it under the Homeowners Policy, but Im finding out that is not the case. It looks like it will have to be on its own policy costing around $500 a year. The only times I will be riding is on the properties I hunt, and when I go to places like the bow shoot. Anyone have any advice on this?

xbowguy

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Licking Co. Ohio
I could be wrong but I believe if its locked in your garage it falls under your homeowners insurance. And the biggest risk you have is fire and theft. Which both usually happen in your garage.

Dustinb80

#FACKCANCER
Supporting Member
S.W. Ohio
Rick the problem with it just being under homeowners is the minute it leaves your property, its no longer insured. Ill have to call the DMV to get the law specifics.

hickslawns

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Ohio
Rick the problem with it just being under homeowners is the minute it leaves your property, its no longer insured. Ill have to call the DMV to get the law specifics.

DMV will likely tell you you will need an ATV sticker to ride in authorized ATV trails. They are not street legal so I don't see how one could get a license plate.

Insurance is who would dictate payout in the event of a claim. We have a policy strictly for off road vehicles/motorcycles. Two actually. They will only put 3 vehicles per policy.

"J"

Git Off My Lawn
Supporting Member
North Carolina
U
I could be wrong but I believe if its locked in your garage it falls under your homeowners insurance. And the biggest risk you have is fire and theft. Which both usually happen in your garage.

Unless your Ric that is....YKW....

bowhunter1023

Owner/Operator
Staff member
Appalachia
You do not need a registration unless you plan on riding state sanctioned trails. Save your money...

Check with eSurance or Progressive. I've heard they will insure them.

Buckmaster

Portage
If you own an item that has a title it will need covered under its own policy. Homeowner's doesn't cover recreational vehicles and boats. Insuring my ATV under Nationwide was about $ 120.00 a year. I heard Progressive has the best rates on motorcycles, etc.

5Cent

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
North Central Ohio
Or roll it off a mountain, break through the ice... Speaking of which, if you plan to use it to fish Lake Erie ice, it need to have a tag.

LOL, thought of Cotty here. Mike, that little fubar with the boy this summer would have been covered if you had the right insurance. Deductible may have been cheaper than total cost to repair, but only you know.

We only did registration since it would end up on Lake Erie in the winter most years. Never had insurance growing up.

Carpn

*Supporting Member*
Wooster
My parents pole barn burnt up about 6-8 yrs ago with a 2 yr old quad Can Am quad in it. Homeowners insurance didn't cover it. If your only gonna ride it on private land ya don't need a plate. If you plan on taking it to state land or trails ya need one. They don't do stickers anymore, just plates for ATVs. I got a sticker for my snowmobile tho, since snowmobiles aren't titled.....I got the sticker so I'd be legal for accessing the lake thru state parks on erie.