Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

shipping a gun?

at1010

*Supporting Member*
ok I need to send my 1187 back to remington.

Needless to say Remington hasn't been the most helpful. Anything I need to know before calling UPS for a shipping tag, and shipping a firearm?

"J"

Git Off My Lawn
Supporting Member
North Carolina
You may have to take it to them at one of their warehouses, call and ask... The stores won't deal with them up here....

at1010

*Supporting Member*
You may have to take it to them at one of their warehouses, call and ask... The stores won't deal with them up here....

thanks J. I will give them a call. What a pain in the ass.

"J"

Git Off My Lawn
Supporting Member
North Carolina
thanks J. I will give them a call. What a pain in the ass.

Yeah, I had to drive 20 miles from the UPS store too their hub (warehouse) to drop it off and get it shipped.... Mine was too Savage.... Also it's not cheap either.... If I remember right mine was in the 40.00 neighborhood....

at1010

*Supporting Member*
Liability. That's all it is.

you mean to tell me that they can't carry insurance to have a private carrier pickup guns? Or they can't provide the information of where to pickup drop off a gun?

Honestly they told me, ship it to this 3rd party dealer, I then had to call them. They told me to contact ups and they will help you. Now I have contacted UPS. Seems like the end user is doing a lot of work that the corporate should be doing.

I don't mind paying but I do mind having to do the work to figure out something that they should do for me.

ok now I'm just ranting! Sorry!

at1010

*Supporting Member*
The liability is in trusting you to ship what you say you're shipping (unloaded firearm).

AHH! I see!

Still don't understand who they would maintain liability if they were able to just give you the information even.

"at1010, you need to go to UPS drop location, X. They will assist you in the gun shipment. You'll want to ship to location Y, and you take all liability with federal law when shipping the firearm."

I have called twice, one guy told me to just take it to a Gander MTN. I said I wanted Remington to look at the gun as I have had several good gunsmiths look at it, and its not working correctly. Second person gave me a gun shop who Remington subs work out to, gave me number and wished me luck.

I cannot imagine treating a customer that way, just seems like a real round about way to treat a customer. Maybe I am in the wrong/over thinking it. I do seem to be more irritable recently.

at1010

*Supporting Member*
just an fyi on this.

Remington now has told me that they can ship a gun from your home, but they need to provide you with the call tag.
If your firearm is not under warranty (mine wasn't but I did some yelling and got a good CS rep) you need to take it to a UPS drop center

Now the UPS drop center I took it to gave me a big time run around, and boy was it a pain! He was asking for an FFL and everything from me. According to Remington that was the right thing to do at all.

Any idea on how the actual protocol is supposed to work? I am going to have to box up the shotgun and UPS is coming to get it. I am hoping that the guy refuses it in the drive way, I might blowup on him.