Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

Switching

Carpn

*Supporting Member*
Wooster
Anyone here switched from right to left ? I am really wanting to try and switch this yr . I have had eye dominance problems and vision issues for a few yrs . I shoot OK but see way better thru my left eye . Now I'm fighting right shoulder issues, and really thinking I NEED to switch to lefty . We'll see how things progress

brock ratcliff

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Years ago I shot competitively with a fella that got into the worst case of target panic I've ever seen. He went from being a top notch archer to not being able to hit a target at all. He switched from shooting right handed to left, with a longbow! It took him a bit of time to make the adjustment, but by the end of summer, he was competing on a national level again, and was at the top of the heap! I've often thought of doing the same, but I never have. Best of luck to ya! It's nice to think if I ever wear my shoulder out completely I have another to use!

Flathead76

Athens
I have tried this in the past being left eye dominate. If you shoot a 70 pound bow get a lefty that you can start out at 60 pounds to start with and when you get more comfortable crank up the poundage. Also get a cam with adjustable mods. If a 30" draw fits you set it up at 29" to start. It will force you to have a little more bend in your bow arm. This will help save you some string burn starting out. When you start you will feel all jacked up to start with. When you get more comfortable increase the draw to 30". What's really jacked up is the first time you look at your sight and have to mentally force yourself to keep both eyes wide open.

Jake this might even be a better option before you spend any money. You still are shooting an Oneida Ospery for bowfishing right? The way you shoot a fish off a raised deck is just like how you draw and shoot a deer from a tree stand. You draw and bend at the waist then release. Depending on which side of the boat that I am on I can shoot my Oneidas right or left handed. This is because all the cams and cables are on the riser of the bow. There are no cables to interfere with. The grip can be used right or left handed. Try practicing in the yard with your osprey picking out leaves and other stuff and pretend that you are shooting fish left handed. I can shoot just as well left handed with a right handed Oneida as I can right handed. People in the boat just shake thier head as they watch me stick fish after fish left handed with a right hand bow. Everything is the same except the shelf and the spin cast handle are on the wrong side. Also being light poundage is a plus. Give it a try you might be surprised.

finelyshedded

You know what!!!
Supporting Member
SW Ohio
I'm right handed and left eye dominate and have just learned to shoot with both eyes open to where I'm pretty decent at it. I reckon I could be better switching but I've come this far to change now. Couldn't imagine making the switch now.....ugh!!!!!

Good luck man!

Carpn

*Supporting Member*
Wooster
I may try that Pat . I've managed OK till now dealing with the eye dominance issue , and I don't see as well out of my right eye . But this shoulder issue may be the tipping point .