Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

Deer Program Goals....

CritterGitterToo

Central Ohio
So, it looks like we haven't had a good discussion about how the DOW has screwed up the deer population since December. I was poking around on their website and found a little gem called, "Quality vs Quantity: Deer Herd Condition Trends in Ohio."

I won't post it all here, but I did quote the very end of it.

"Despite the overwhelming increases in the
popularity of deer management and the focus on
large-antlered bucks in recent years that would
generate more interest by hunters to have their
bucks recognized by a record-keeping organization,
fewer bucks as a percentage of the annual
antlered buck harvest sport large enough
antlers to qualify for the record books. Our
analyses of long term condition, productivity,
and antler size data confirm that the quality of
Ohio’s deer herd, while still relatively good, has
declined due to increases in deer population size
and changes in habitat quality across most of
our state over the past several decades. Not only
have we seen significant declines in fawn pregnancy
rate, adult reproductive rate, and yearling
beam diameter, but our analysis of record book
entries shows a decline in trophy buck entries
as well. Efforts by the Division of Wildlife to reduce
populations to goal, albeit successful, have
not been well received by all. Social tolerances
aside, the time is upon us to integrate herd and
habitat health into our deer management goal.
Perhaps our analysis of declining trophy buck
potential will provide a fresh perspective
as we
go into the population goal setting process in the
summer of 2015."

So, they're trying to scare the masses into thinking that high deer numbers means low potential for a trophy buck. This is why educated hunters don't trust the ODOW. They use propaganda to twist the truth and get hunters to carry out there agenda. Their agenda is basically to support the Ohio Farm Bureau and insurance industry. I am really growing tired of this. I won't quit hunting at this point, but I am very seriously considering it. I took this year off and missed it terribly. I may look more seriously into hunting Kentucky.

brock ratcliff

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
I have moved passed giving a crap what the ODOW has to say regarding deer. I know for a fact they have dropped the ball. They don't care, neither do I.

My favorite parcel to hunt is really, really good again. Here is the trick; get lucky enough to have a lot of land to yourself, and don't shoot anything.

finelyshedded

You know what!!!
Supporting Member
SW Ohio
I have moved passed giving a crap what the ODOW has to say regarding deer. I know for a fact they have dropped the ball. They don't care, neither do I.

My favorite parcel to hunt is really, really good again. Here is the trick; get lucky enough to have a lot of land to yourself, and don't shoot anything.

.......and you have no shortage of mature bucks which blows their theory out of the water TOO!

Jackalope

Dignitary Member
Staff member

Yep. Tonk tried to spew this crap when we spoke to him a couple years ago.. My response was I can't believe you're trying to tell me the decline in record book entries is not a direct reflection of the decline in population numbers. Instead you're telling me the decline is because we had too many deer.. Despite Rex standing right here who has told me that since you started decreasing the population BBBC entries have fallen significantly.

It's just plain propaganda BS. Twisting reality to suit their agenda because they know hunters are largely ignorant to the big picture. Nothing new.

CritterGitterToo

Central Ohio

I think most of us are looking for our little slice of Ohio dirt where we don't have to deal with dumbasses or the ODOW. You certainly do have a good set up.

brock ratcliff

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
I am very fortunate to have that piece, and next year I will probably even try to kill a deer off it!
Joe is correct. There are less deer going in the book simply because less are killed. Our population was never so high to make trophy potential suffer. I would guess that one in ten deer I get on cam is 140. The same as always. I just get less deer.

hickslawns

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Ohio
I have two which would make the books which I never had officially scored. Ever think maybe not everyone is going to enter the books? Ever think coyotes and ODNR policy reduces the herd? Ever think less deer equals less trophy sized deer? Screw the ODNR. I'm out. This is a losing conversation.

Jackalope

Dignitary Member
Staff member

Boarhead

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
I have two which would make the books which I never had officially scored. Ever think maybe not everyone is going to enter the books? Ever think coyotes and ODNR policy reduces the herd? Ever think less deer equals less trophy sized deer? Screw the ODNR. I'm out. This is a losing conversation.
Correct Phil,screw the books too,they just want your money anyway.Besides why should we give Rex any money just so he can give ya a little piece of paper and charge ya way too much for a banquet ticket.

Bigslam51

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Stark County
Can't knock a guy for entering one and wanting to see all the nice mounts at the banquet. Here's what they say the membership fee goes towards.

WHERE YOUR $30 MEMBERSHIP FEE GOES

Your membership fee is used for donations to hunter education courses throughout Ohio, youth organizations, scholarships to young people pursuing a wildlife career, PCBA, and many other deer/wildlife organizations.* The BBBC has been a huge supporter of Camp Heritage which is a camp for educating and guiding our youth.* It is a hands on experience for our youth to learn safety and professionalism as well as hunter ethics.* Learn more about Camp Heritage atwww.geocities.com/campheritage

Boarhead

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Can't knock a guy for entering one and wanting to see all the nice mounts at the banquet. Here's what they say the membership fee goes towards.

WHERE YOUR $30 MEMBERSHIP FEE GOES

Your membership fee is used for donations to hunter education courses throughout Ohio, youth organizations, scholarships to young people pursuing a wildlife career, PCBA, and many other deer/wildlife organizations.* The BBBC has been a huge supporter of Camp Heritage which is a camp for educating and guiding our youth.* It is a hands on experience for our youth to learn safety and professionalism as well as hunter ethics.* Learn more about Camp Heritage atwww.geocities.com/campheritage

Blah blah blah