Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

Track ID: Raccoon or Muskrat maybe?

Aranyic

Wondering if anyone can help me out, I was out with the dog earlier this evening an found some tracks on the pond. My first thought was raccoon or muskrat maybe? The stride isn't all that long so I don't think it could be very long legged? It was mid 30's today and the tracks were from last night probably so they have melted some. I looked around at some common Ohio critters tracks in snow and couldn't match it up correctly. In the last picture you can see it next to a track from the dog which is a 60lb terrier mix. - not sure why the first 2 pictures got turned sideways.

20160217_181305.jpg20160217_181302.jpg20160217_181754.jpg

Last edited:

xbowguy

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Licking Co. Ohio
Your right Jake! I'm guilty of not reading it clear through. I stand corrected. That dog track sure looks small compared to his paw in the pic.

Last edited:

GoetsTalon

Supporting Member
Walbridge oh
Looks like mink tracks to me. Side by side on that angle and being by the water. Muskrat will have a drag mark behind them from dragging there tail.

Last edited:

jagermeister

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Ohio
I'm having a tough time figuring them out. I thought opossum too but I can't really make out that telltale thumb. Look too big to be mink tracks. The one set right next to shore looks like coon to me, but the rest are so weathered it's really difficult to be sure.

Carpn

*Supporting Member*
Wooster
The tracks are pretty melted out , but they are most definitely possum. I saw a lot of them in the snow today. I think I see a opposed thumb....but the pattern of the tracks is telltale also .

Aranyic

Thanks all, I didn't think about the tail drag marks from a muskrat. They were pretty melted I wish I could have caught then in the morning there would have been a lot more detail.

I didn't take into account the different front and hind feet on a possum when I was looking through images.