Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

Changing gears?

brock ratcliff

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Mason and I took one of our GSP hunting on a preserve yesterday. First time I've ever had him out. He's awesome.

Anyone know if MI, KY or PA still have a good grouse population? I think we will switch from deer hunting all the time to chasing birds a bit.

Attachments

• IMG_0278.JPG
    IMG_0278.JPG
    174.7 KB · Views: 475
  • IMG_0282.JPG
    IMG_0282.JPG
    118.5 KB · Views: 471
Last edited:

bthompson1004

NWOhio!
Congrats on a great day, looks like some happy campers right there!

I should do that with stepson before they stop in march I think it is...wr hunt club.

Last edited:

Quantum673

Black Hat Cajun
Supporting Member
Looks like you guys had a blast. TOO me nothing beats watching dogs work.
My dad and I use to quail hunt a lot back home. I would spend hours letting the dogs do their thing.
Dad and I would hang back and shoot the shit. Ton of memories made.

brock ratcliff

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
We did have a good time. I was really surprised how good the dog is. Even after not hunting for the last couple years, he did not miss a beat.

"J"

Git Off My Lawn
Supporting Member
North Carolina
Nothing like sitting up on a hill watching the dogs working the game animal.... Watching a rabbit out in front of beagles trying too lose them can be a comical affair too say the least....

brock ratcliff

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
We have a couple of good beagles too. A couple of years ago, coyotes got after them while hunting a neighbor's farm. One of them has not chased a rabbit since, and she was the better of the two. Mason is too spooked to take the other out by herself now, afraid we'll loose her to a yote. So, for the last couple of years, she just runs around in our woods. Mason will shoot a couple of them each year, but he knows if he kills one today, Karly cannot run it tomorrow. She gets a lot of exercise chasing the same handful of rabbits, and we get to hear and see her do it.... good thing we are not relying on rabbits for food. :)

"J"

Git Off My Lawn
Supporting Member
North Carolina
We have a couple of good beagles too. A couple of years ago, coyotes got after them while hunting a neighbor's farm. One of them has not chased a rabbit since, and she was the better of the two. Mason is too spooked to take the other out by herself now, afraid we'll loose her to a yote. So, for the last couple of years, she just runs around in our woods. Mason will shoot a couple of them each year, but he knows if he kills one today, Karly cannot run it tomorrow. She gets a lot of exercise chasing the same handful of rabbits, and we get to hear and see her do it.... good thing we are not relying on rabbits for food. :)

Around home I just watch run, may drop one every once in a while too keep they reminded of what they look like but we have dropped a dozen or so down at Zachs place....

When seasons over I'll bring out the stool and just carry a handgun with me for just in case moments like you've had with coyotes.....

brock ratcliff

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
This is my girls when they were just pups. Best afternoon of bunny hunting I've ever had. Mason and I could have killed a dozen that day. Those dogs were on fire, rabbits running everywhere. They would run one around and another would be with it. We would shoot the one they chased and then they would grab another. It was a blast.

Attachments

• 20644_1185859820159_97667_n.jpg
    20644_1185859820159_97667_n.jpg
    16.6 KB · Views: 411

swantucky

The Crew
Swanton, Ohio
This year was an up year for grouse in mid-Michigan, saw more than I have in years. Wish I would have put the bow down for a day and hunted them. I want to get one mounted for the cabin.

Buckmaster

Portage
From my Deer Camp...20 minutes, one push, two shots, two grouse, one limit.......,no dog.

Attachments

• Grouse 1.JPG
    Grouse 1.JPG
    129.9 KB · Views: 565
  • Grouse 2.jpg
    Grouse 2.jpg
    240.1 KB · Views: 437

brock ratcliff

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Have grouse here in Ohio and my buddy's place in Elk Co. PA. Seek me out next fall Brock and we can make it happen.

I will, Ben! As you know, I feel the need to get away from hunting deer ALL the time. Mason and I have so much fun watching our dog(s) work that I just can't imagine not doing more of it. Thanks for the invite!

"J"

Git Off My Lawn
Supporting Member
North Carolina
I will, Ben! As you know, I feel the need to get away from hunting deer ALL the time. Mason and I have so much fun watching our dog(s) work that I just can't imagine not doing more of it. Thanks for the invite!

Well then hell bring the beagles as well lol